Arban surprise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It is essential if you want to become a well-rounded player.

2. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    The Arban's Book and, to an extent, the St. Jacome methods are referred to as trumpeter's bibles for a reason.
    You can pretty much learn everything from an Arban book. Technique, sound, tonguing, playing musically, phrasing, breathing, learning transposing via the simple exercises and then moving to the more difficult ones, and you name it. When Maynard was a kid, he took some of the Arban's exercises up an octave to develop his range. Maurice Andre' could play all the Characteristic Studies from memory. Those studies will certainly build technique, won't they?
    Bear in mind, when Arban assembled this book, a high C was the goal for cornet players. Fingerings on the cornets back then could be iffy and Arban wrote what should work the best. Great teachers and performers still use this book and its exercises in some form every day.
    It is what you make of it and should be on the music stand of any serious minded trumpeter, be they a beginner, adult comeback player, advanced student, or working pro.
    RT

jbkirby likes this.
  3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Sorry, I thought my tongue was very obviously in cheek. Other than as a very classy (and germane) background for a glamour shot of your axe, it is ALSO one of the top method books of all time for developing mastery of a trumpet or cornet.

4. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Ok, whew, I must have misread a couple of the posts. I won't return the book ;) richtom - what you said explaining why the fingerings makes alot of sense.

5. Tequilero901

Tequilero901 Pianissimo User

Sep 4, 2010
    Memphis, TN
    I also been playing for 2 years I just started on Arbans aswell. I started about a week ago and I'm still on the first excersize becuase I can't keep tempo which has always been my weekness but its improving. As with High C's I could reach them easily at the beginning of practice but around an hour of rehearsal my lips begin to tire and I struggle to get any higher than G above the staff. I'm going through the book with a friend who has Arban's for Trombone. Books are very similiar but the fingering on his are all messed up.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, that's messed up.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I wasn't suggesting that it's not a great method book .... But it DOES make a great place to rest your trumpet. No, I think it's nothing less than awesome, but daunting at the same time (to get into it). Once you start ..... :shhh:

Actually, just recently I was lamenting that there isn't something like it, that is so completely comprehensive, for guitar. Or, almost any instrument for that matter. Isn't it really very unique???

Turtle

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Arbans is a CONSERVATORY method, designed to be taught by professors to players that are already well on their way. It was never designed to be the first book that a trumpeter needed.

9. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I guess the first sentence "In Study No1 start or 'attack' the sound by pronouncing the syllable 'tu'..." threw me off. That doesn't sound like anything a player "well on their way" needs to be told. Same with having to provide fingerings. ;)

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I bought a pre-owned copy of Arbans as a sophmore in high school and wore it out by the time I was a sophmore in college. No, such wear was not from practice with it. I carried it along with other texts in an open boat bag and would sling it onto the bag seat when she would sit beside me. At the first stop light all my books were on the back floor. Then there was the run from my car to class in rain and snow. Did I forget to mention the spilled beer my buddies drank when I gave them a ride. To make this short, with my comeback in 2006, I bought a new platinum edition and just last week made my first pass with Carnival of Venice which in all the years past I had ignored.