Arban surprise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Nice Ed!! :)

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    FWIW, I had played for a good year and was already playing first cornet in my Jr HS band before cracking open the Arban book. That book is not a progressive tutor but an anthology, and for someone who doesn't really understand that, they are really probably better off playing from it with the help of a teacher.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I still haven't optimized it yet with proficiency. 10+ more times at it might be OK. I'm presently being squeezed with regard to my practice time by family and other priorities. Up at 5 AM with YSB mute to get 2 hours of practice today. Committed to sound Taps this Friday at 10 AM for severe Vietnam Agent Orange sufferer, and Easter Sunday for Christ The Lord Is Risen Today with piano accompaniment.

4. Tequilero901

Tequilero901 Pianissimo User

Sep 4, 2010
    Memphis, TN
    Whats messed up? He plays Valve Trombone and wanted to go through the arbans book. Excersizes are the exact same except his are written in the bass clef.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    [​IMG]

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Boy, you guys are sooooooo smart. You would be surprised how much most players do wrong - even if they are the hot shots in their school programs. Check out who this Arban was and who this "Conservatory Method" was written for. When it was written is also significant. There is enough material available on the internet.

The natural trumpet had all but been phased out, the deep F trumpet was in common use in symphony orchestras and Mr. Arban was trying to establish the CORNET as THE premiere solo instrument. Due to the fact that there wasn't a lot of good methods available, many of the conservatory students did in fact have to "start over". I know that this was still common practice back in the 1970s when I studied. Your teacher generally was not happy with the whole package and you started all over again to build a solid foundation. Most students that I have had also started over from the very basics. That is why I mention the circle of breath so often.

The difference was that there were no internet armchair experts back then. When your teacher told you to do something, you did it. Most of the people that I studied with are still playing. There must be some merit in the conservatory approach......

7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I was introduced to Arbans in the 9th grade as the last hiccup before I left the trumpet for nealy 30 years. I sometimes wonder if I looked at the book and thought it was impossible and got discouraged. But today, it looks very "doable" with dedication and a good teacher. I am also discovering that with a good teacher and solid dedication, the range issue takes care of itself naturally.

To this day, my favorite little thing to play is #13. It is simply beautiful to me.

I purchased Eric Bolvin's guide to Arban and hope to go through the whole book one day. I would also like to give a shout out to Clyde Hunts' guide to Arban as well.

BrotherBACH

8. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    There are some good starter books on Arban and Clark by Carl Fisher. Sheet Music Plus sells them along with a lot of other great method books etc.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I don't quite follow this. Do you mean that pre-1970, there were not many good method books to work out of? And when one's teacher was not "happy with the whole package" (e.g. method materials?), why did one have to start over again? What was missing in one's playing that one did not have a solid foundation from?

I'm not disagreeing, I just am not making the connection with your statement, "Due to the fact that there wasn't a lot of good methods available, many of the conservatory students did in fact have to "start over".

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I prefer an Arbans with a red cover. Trumpets looks especially good lying on an Arbans with that color.

Turtle