Arban surprise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Feb 28, 2012.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I agree.

[​IMG]

:D

2. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I love the Arbans book, i picked up the green one with the Asian language translations also included. Its great for beginners and it has helped me a lot! I am only on the first studies but while practicing these i can tell my range has got a lot better and my slotting of high notes to low notes and vice versa is a lot better and easier cause i'm learning what the notes sound like. (before i would like hit an e instead of a c etc by overblowing)

If you think its hard, thats how things were in the old days you had to work hard as standard! none of this sugar coated political correctness insanity that strangles the world today. like my granny used to say "in my day there was no such thing as stress or depression, you just got on with it)

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    You may call yourself a "newbie" but I don't get the impression you are a youthful one. As a general thought, "stress or depression" conditions are what bothers many of us. Some can cope. albeit they lay latent, but there are exceptions where the level is extremely high and require interdiction by professionals, both medical and social.

In my personal circumstances, IMHO it has been my music that soothes these feelings albeit the memory of such lingers and I realize that they lay latent and suppressed or would it be they are in remission with the potential to emerge again.

Disregard or laxity with these feelings aren't beneficial.

patkins likes this.
  4. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    It was a reference to hard work, nothing else. Sorry if i upset anyone who suffers from said conditions.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC

Arban wrote his method to be used in the Paris Conservatory where he taught. They didn't take beginners. He intended the book to be used by a teacher with their students. It's not a play from the beginning kind of book. I use it as the core of my teaching materials because it is so good at developing good foundational aspects of playing. I consider the first ten exercises useless. I start students on #11. From here I teach them good playing habits. Just playing the exercise is just the first small step with waht I teach. There is so much more to be learned than just playing the exercise.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I was actually talking about 1850 when Arban wrote the book. As far as the "package", my experience is that professors teach in their box. Materials used are not what the student brings, rather that what works for them.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Ach so. I got it, thanks.

8. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I had a student the other day at instrument trials get a 5th space g out right away. Needless to say I was recommending that they consider trumpet, instead of saxophone, percussion...

9. ebjazz

ebjazz Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2005
    SF Bay Area
  10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Yes, but there is much more about playing the exercises than can be explain in a book. It's not so much which ones you play in what order but HOW you play them. That can't be written down. It has to be modeled and guided.