Arban Trumpet book

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ♠♥CORNET♣♦, Oct 30, 2014.

1. ♠♥CORNET♣♦

♠♥CORNET♣♦ Pianissimo User

Oct 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    There are a few arban trumpet books out there. What version is the best. By best I mean helps the most with range, tounging, articulation, tone........ There are a lot of versions can someone please tell me the best ones? I've heard about a 900 page one. Is it 900 pages of worth or 900 pages of worthless?

2. ewetho

ewetho Piano User

Jun 24, 2007
    Kankakee, IL
    There is one main Arban's Book. There ha been several revisions which are just edits of the text. The most recent I believe is Claude Gordon edit. It is still under copyright. However the very first version is apparently pubic Domain. I believe it is about 347 pages.

The 900 page version would have to be Pop's Extended Range version where he extended and added stuff. I hear it is a great book.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Arban's is a conservatory method and should not be tackled without a teacher, Eric Bolvin has written a guide to Arban setting out a structured program of 65 lessons that will take you through in a logical and progressive manner if you do not have access to a teacher.

Regards, Stuart.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    The Pops extended Arban is good, but the traditional Arban Cornet Method is easier to use.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The best one is the one that you use daily. The Arbans book is a conservatory method and that means that it was designed to be administered by a fine teacher. DIY playing has little to do with the specific exercises that you play, it has more to do with HOW you play them. That how in my opinion is not found in print. That how is the product of a great relationship with a player better than you.

I think that they, in this respect are all equal. I bought the Carl Fischer version 48 years ago and it is falling apart from use. Most of the exercises are now from memory, so the quality of paper and binding is not significant anymore.

I have no other book with more hours invested!

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
  8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I too do a lot of "exercises" over and over again --- when I got my Arban's out of the closet the other week --- I was surprised that I was doing exercises that pretty much paralleled those in the book ------ many of which I forgot I studied several years back ---- they stuck with me, and they are very valuable to my playing.

9. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    You don't even have to pay money for it. The original is no longer protected under copyright so you can just download the PDF, that's what I did.