Arban's Book Range Building?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetScreamer, Jul 8, 2008.

1. TrumpetScreamer

TrumpetScreamer New Friend

Jun 29, 2008
    Could somone please tell me what kinds of exercises I should look for in the Arban's book that will build my lip muscles and help me in expanding my range?

Thanks!

2. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Slurring, scales, chromatics, intervals, you name it. Play soft. It won't happen over night. Just keep working and move forward.

3. Huggy Bear

Huggy Bear Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2007
    Berea, OH
    What it is, yo! The Arban book is really kool. Mr. Michael Sachs, my favoite classical player, plays out of the Arbans book every day of his life....and he can play really high.

There's another teacher I read about named Jim Pandolfi, who always plays high, who told a "source" of mine to just play every thing in the Arbans book up a fifth and there's your range studies. Now, Huggy doesn't know what that means, but I'm sure Rowuk will be able to help you! (don't hate, Rowuk. Huggy Loves YOU!)

Good luck and let me know if I can find anymore stuff fo' you.

Love,
    Huggy (you're favorite Urban Informant)

p.s. whoever wrote on my feed back that I'm a "rascist".....not only can't you spell (moron), but you're wrong....I hate Racing!

Schwab likes this.
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Arban book is not really designed to build range. It is very good at building technique.

If you want to increase range through the Arban book, then be prepared to start transposing. Take an exercise and play it a step higher. Then two steps higher, and continue.

Not fun, but it will stretch your brain to incredible limits; it is worth it!

Have fun!

5. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Pages 125 through 130 are very good for building flexibility across your upper and lower range.
    These also are great for building endurance which indirectly will help you develop your range.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Huggy is back!
    Taking it up a fifth means using Wild Turkey for valve oil!

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with transposing Arban into any other key, but I have to admit F transposition is not my favorite.

To answer the thread owners question, every page in the Arban book is good for range and endurance, IF you are playing them correctly.

The Arban book is a conservatory method designed for players that practice regularly, enough AND have highly qualified teachers.

Huggy, love is a word I reserve for VERY special things, but I like you alot too! You kind of add color to TM.

Robin

7. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    shazam huggy nailed it again ;)

8. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006