Arbans book!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by zackamabufoo, Feb 10, 2004.

1. zackamabufoo

zackamabufoo New Friend

Feb 9, 2004
    i suggest buying the arbans book (my teacher calls it the trunpet bible :shock: :? )
    It worked wonders for me :D
    well i hope that works for you

2. hitmantrpt45

hitmantrpt45 New Friend

Jul 15, 2009
    New York
    Really excellent book, I have my students buy the Arbans, Clark Techinical, and Schlossberg. Many great books out their but these are my favorites.

3. Trumpet_EG

Trumpet_EG New Friend

Jun 12, 2009
    Yeah, I think everyone here knows already. Thanks anyway :D

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Couldn't agree more about the Arban book. Great book for basic technique.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I suggest not only buying it, but USING it. It is a conservatory method and was designed for use with a professor in the know.

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

I'll do a little Devil's Advocating here....I never had a teacher growing up, but I DID have an Arban's book, which I practiced out of religiously. So, even if you can't get a teacher for some reason (and I'm not disagreeing with Rowuk that the book was designed and works well in conjunction with lessons) by all means, still get the Arban's book and practice from it assiduously. It's great.

bigtiny

7. n4t3

n4t3 New Friend

May 13, 2009
    rockford Illinois
    my teacher had me get my arbans book plastic spiral bound and the covers laminated. all for $11 its very worth it and makes it last longer. its easier to play out of too because it actually stays open

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I still have my original Arbans book, copyright 1936. It is dog-eared and yellowing so I decided to buy a new one. I bought it on ebay so I could not see how thick it is. The original had all of the explanations and comments in English, German and French so they took up a lot of space. I sort of assumed that the new one would be for U.S. Audiences and they would have dropped Arban's original polyglot emphasis. How wrong I was. I was amazed to find that the new one is 50% thicker due to MORE languages included. That makes the book so hard to keep on a music stand that I have resorted to copying the pages that I use and putting them on the stand one at a time. It sure sounds like the spiral-bound approach would make it easier to use - and bind the comments in a separate book so the one with only the exercises will take a lot less space.

9. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    No doubt about you Rowuk

Rowuk kicks yet another goal

10. jonterman

jonterman Pianissimo User

Jan 4, 2009
    Great book, I have been using it since I started playing 9 months ago...very helpful.

Also, I just got Music Minus One Arban Duets. It has all the duets from the Arban book - you can fade Left, Right, or Center to let you hear the 2nd part, 1st part or both together. Very fun!