Arban's Characteristic studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by soloft, Feb 22, 2009.

1. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    I've got a question about practicing advice. I have always had a bit of problem staying at a good tempo while practicing fast pieces. In order to repair this quickly, my teacher is having me practice the first characteristic Arban study with a metronome. My only problem is: I only stay with the tempo for about one line then I get off by a beat or so. I am taking it at a slow 69 bpm to make sure I get the timing right, but I still have trouble with it.
    Anyone have advice or overcome similar problems?

2. GlassMen91

GlassMen91 New Friend

Dec 9, 2008
    Toledo
    Make the metronome louder? That might help you get the beat more solidly. Also foot tapping and maybe having your teacher clap along.

3. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    try setting the metronome to play the first beat at a different tone, if you have the kind that can do that.

4. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    As far as I know, mostly all metronomes make the distinct sound on the first beat,
    and you might want to try putting headphones in your metronome so you hear it better, if your metronome has a phone jack, it is very helpful...:-)

5. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    How about taking the next 5 or so measures and practicing them with the metronome until you able to play @ speed,them add them to the first line and so on.I believe Claude Gordon use to start from the end of a technical piece taking a few measures at a time,working his way up to the beginning,just another way to take it.

6. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    I found that an old skool pendulum style metronome work the best for me. Not only do you have the audible but the visual que as the metronome arm ticks back and forth.

7. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Play softer? :D

8. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    if you can plug head phones in... seems to work for me...

9. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If you are studying from Arbans and having problems with keeping time, try playing along with a CD. I found a set of CDs that has all of the Arban Studies, Hunt Teaches Arban by Cyde E. Hunt. When I get to a difficult selection, I play it along with the CD until I get it right.

Just a suggestion.

10. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I will definitely be trying these methods. Do you all know any particular ways to improve personal sense of rhythm?