Arban's Characteristic studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by soloft, Feb 22, 2009.

1. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    I knew a drummer who slept with a ticking metronome.

One trick I used to do when I was young was to listen to a tune I knew on the radio or CD. Once I was into the groove of the tune I would turn the sound down for a period of time (30 sec maybe?) keeping time in my head. I would then turn the sound back up and see how close I was to being in the right place in the tune.

I found that generally if I concentrated I would be pretty accurate. Then I think it's a matter of getting that level of concentration to be automatic.

Good Luck!
    Steve

2. brassmachine19

brassmachine19 New Friend

Nov 16, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    check this link out...

METRONOME ONLINE - free!

just crank your volume on your computer and get a nice set of headphones!

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Go for the music in that study, not just for speed. There is nothing, I mean nothing, more boring than a metronome driven performance of that etude. Try singing the study. Think vocally, not trumpet-like. Play with the accents, get inside the music. Think about Characteristic Studies as music, they will never be the same for you.
    Wilmer

4. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    play with a metronome always unless you're doing long tones.

5. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Thank you to everyone again. I am going to be using the metronome a lot, but as wiseone2 suggested, I am going to think about the musical aspect as well. If anyone has questions about increasing range, feel free to message me. Range is my specialty.

6. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Listen to music, drum along with it on your lap; or get the video game, "Rock Band" complete with drum pads. You should hear how my sons rhythm has improved playing that game.

7. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    If you're having problems with rhythm in a study--> set the metronome, play the first note to get the pitch, use both hands and beat the MM on your chest and then SING!!! Not only do you not beat up your chops, but you can easily hear the met. along with getting the contours of the music. You'll also embed the beat into your body through the beating on your chest. Sometimes trumpet playing is more about singing through the trumpet then playing it. My .02.

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Have you tried listening to someone else play them all the way through? Sometimes hearing someone else play something smoothly through transitions could help you to unlock something. There are a few sights on-line with people playing the arbans studies...

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Practicing slowly is the only intelligent way to build good habits. The major problem with many non-professionals is their miserable rhythm. A metronome, if used diligently can help.

Set the metronome to very slow, play every note in perfect time. Remain at slow until it is perfect, then jump 10-15 beats per minute. DO NOT INCREASE SPEED GRADUALLY. The results are almost always that one practices a bit too fast and then precision is out to lunch. Playing rhythmically is achieved by building good habits, patiently!

10. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Your "personal sense of rhythm" comes from within. You already have it. Ever notice when your walk, it is usually in a type of rhythm, or when you are sitting down and tapping your fingers, beating on the table with a pencil or tapping your foot to the beat of a song. You have to feel the music internally and when you play you express it. The best advise I could give would be to play a set of drums and learn them. The idea is to express yourself on another instrument other than your own and by doing this it will enhance the ability to feel rhythm on your trumpet. This is known as grafting, a technique I was taught in college.