Arban's cornet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by sbring, Jan 9, 2006.

1. sbring

sbring New Friend

Jan 9, 2006
    I have seen a statement that Arban's cornet had a third valve which corresponded to two full steps instead of the standard 1.5 that we are accustomed to. Does anyone have access to an old Arban "bible" with fingering charts? I would be very grateful to have this confirmed or falsified. It is not totally unbelievable, since French tubas often have used two-tone third valves.

Sven

2. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    The introduction of the 'Arban' translation into English first published in 1907 which is the edition known to most British players, describes early cornet experiments by various individuals and has the following paragraphs on page IX towards the end of the introduction;

"M. Arban, the cornet soloist invented several instruments of a more or less complicated character, the one to which he was most attached, had a lever, worked by the first finger of the left hand, by means of which he could give additional length to the third valve-slide, lowering it instantly two tones instead of one tone and a half, its normal length."

"When the lengthened valve-slide was brought into use, another system of fingering was required and the ordinary "simple system" had to be abandoned for the time being, this proved very difficult, as it necessitated the study of a new method for this instrument, which was written by the inventor and published in Paris, in the year 1883, this instrument proved a failure."

3. Howard Solotroff

Howard Solotroff New Friend

Dec 3, 2005
    This also appears to be like the "Swedish" style, in which the third
    valve's tube is an extension of two tones, and allows for an obviosly
    alternative fingering pattern. Think about it!

4. JJ

JJ Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2005
    FYI, Russell Gray actually used Arban's own cornet (Courtois, ca. 1866) to record a cd called "The Arban Collection". It's available at www.worldofbrass.com.

JJ

5. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    Tubists do it all the time. The tuba, a non-transposing instrument, uses a different set of fingerings for each key horn.

6. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    I Never Knew About That 2step move, interesting

7. Thank you for that.
    Here's a link to take you straight there; The Arban Collection.

8. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    I Love Links!

9. trumpetera

trumpetera Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    IMHO This system actually has some grea advantages over the "normal" system, D below the staff is played with 2,3 instead of the more out of tune 1,3. Csharp below staff is played 1,3, wich is still more in tune than 1,2,3. G sharp in the staff only with 3 and so on.

I actually use this system quite often when playin 3rd trumpet in wagner operas, and definitely in the opening of Bizet's Carmen.

I am from Sweden, so I was born and raised on this system, but it's really not hard to learn! :-)

10. Russell has now recorded a second volume but this time on a modern day Yamaha cornet; The Arban Collection II.

This second volume is also available to purchase as a download from our own store, World of Brass Tunes; Russell Gray (Cornet) with Leyland Band - The Arban Collection II - World Of Brass