Arban's Fundamentals

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Snorglorf, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    I'm going to pretend for a second that I'm a complete beginner to trumpet with no experience at all. Which Arbans exercises should I be doing to begin with to form a strong foundation?

I just want to go back to basics and make sure I'm solid with everything I can already do, and just really perfect my technique. But what exercises should I start with? Should I just work from front to back?

Thanks for any input. :)

2. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    The first 11 pages. Actually, I have done most of those pages everyday over this winter break. I do them at the indicated tempos and it has really helped solidify some things. They are so technically easy, but the hardest thing to play at the same time. Pennies in the bank.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    if you are a beginner the Arban's is not the book to start on. Find a good beginning method book and start there. there are the Yamaha band books, Standard of Excellence and breeze-easy method to name a few. Oh and most important. FIND A GOOD TEACHER! learning to play the trumpet should not be left to trial and error.

As far as the Arban's book, it's not wrettin to be studied front to back. You work with it in sections assigned by a good teacher.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Wasn't there a guy in the San Francisco area that had a study guide/system for the Arban?

5. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
  6. djserrant

djserrant New Friend

Dec 13, 2008
    Florida
    I'm working in the first few pages in the Arban's right now. I'm spending a lot of time on exercises where my tone starts to thin out to improve my sound, not moving on until I play them perfectly. I feel like its helping me tremendously.

7. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    YES! That is it. I actually have it somewhere here, planned on being a big comeback star that way a few years ago, found I did not want to spend 5 hours a day which is what I think a minimum is........so.....

By the way, did that Arban come through Morris? I think it was mine, a vintage version which is a bit more unabridged......

8. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    I don't know, I posted one request for an Arbans book and for some reason three have been sent to me. No worries though, I'll find good homes for them. I suppose two people already had my address, or got it off Morris, and only one person PM'd me about sending one over, so I didn't have the chance to say I already had one in the mail and didn't need another. You guys are great. :lol:

I'm not a beginner, I've been playing a year. I just wanted to start from the start.

I've got a good teacher, but I only go for lessons once every two weeks. He's only assigned me a couple of exercises and I've been doing them. I just want to know what everyone thinks is the best stuff in the Arbans to build up my chops and technical stuff.

I also realize that the Arbans book is not the be-all and end-all of trumpet playing, but it's what I've got right now. :)

Thanks for the responses, but I can't afford that Arbans manual (although I'm sure I could find the 5 hours a day..)

9. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    If you spent a year just on the Arban you would be a monster.....;-)

10. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    Record yourself, and play anything in the book that looks easiest to you. Play it back and that will tell you what you need to practice.