Arban's Fundamentals

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Snorglorf, Dec 27, 2008.

1. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    If you can REALLY play everything in the Arbans you would be a monster.

Add some Clarke, Schlosberg, and Irons and you are set. Those books are cheap as well.

2. SpitKey

SpitKey New Friend

Dec 3, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Eric Bolvin's "The Arban Manual" provides an excellent plan for working your way through the Arban Book, however in the Introduction he states the user should have a comfortable range of A above the staff before starting this program.

I agree with Bob Grier though that the best way to use the book is with a teacher who can evaluate your needs, and assign the appropriate exercises from that great book.

3. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Just having this thread going has told me what I need to practice. I have a comfortable range up to A, but I need to work that comfortable range up to C. I need to work on my slurring also. Obviously the slurring exercises are going to help me there with range + flexibility. What other exercises will help my range? I should probably be practicing the major scales section with a metronome.

Hm. I'm rather short on cash right now. Are these essential?

(ie. should I be asking for them in the student help thread? despite already feeling greedy for over-using that thread. :shhh:)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    My old teacher used to say the rock was long tones, long tone scales. The more time you spent on those the stronger you would get, your tone too would show much improvement. Boring to be sure but so are sit ups and pull ups!:-)

5. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    If you've been playing for a year, range to an A is good I think. I wouldn't focus too much on the upper register until you've really developed your playing within the middle register. Exercise 11 on page 13 is a good one to start with. I play it often. Start slow and acurate, then over time build it up to the 108bpm.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  6. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yes, I consider those 4 books essential. Within those 4 books, you can address 99% of your fundamental needs.

7. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Yeah, I've been playing this one every day. :)

I'll slow it down and really perfect it though.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Exercise #11 on page 13 is the place to start. the only other thing you need right now is a good warm up. After you warm up star with #11,12,13 and 14. I like to assign 4 exercies at a time. Start slowly. don't play any faster than you can play cleanly. When you can play them cleanly at the marked tempo move to the next exercises. You still need a good teacher to make sure you have good basic playing habits. If you have bad habits all the practicing in the world will only make bad habits stronger.

By the way, I think exercises #1 through 10 are not very useful.