Arbans - Gulp

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tedh1951, Jan 11, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I've just taken my first really serious foray into a copy of Arbans in tonight's trumpet lesson - it is quite a bit more difficult than it looks. :shock:

My tutor thought it was about time I got serious, and bought his treasured copy of Arbans along, and for the first time in 40 years I've been given compulsory homework - damn. :thumbdown:

I thought I was really improving, practice regime, careful preparation, good quality trumpet, proper maintenance programme. I've found that I don't breathe properly after all, and that my bell needs to be lifted 6" higher (that's 150mm) than I'm used to. :huh:

My lips and my brain hurt :huh: - but wow, has the sound changed - what a buzz. :play: This trumpeting stuff might turn out to be fun after all. ROFL

rettepnoj likes this.
  2. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Keep at it Ted. The old stuff is the best, once you really get into it & start to understand what these guys were on about. Good luck!

:-)

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I had a run through some of the Australian Music Examinations Board (AMEB) test pieces tonight and there, lo and behold, was an Arban's exercise, being used as a formal test piece - who'd've thought it?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    It's pretty humbling when you first start to delve into Arban. I felt pretty good about myself and then.... Trumpet playing will make you a humble man. I think about that every time some well-meaning but misguided fan comes up and tells me how great I am.

5. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    It's not kidding when it says 'Conservatory Method.' It is rare someone could play EVERYTHING in it, there are some that can play most.

This is a method book for people in music conservatories that practice upwards of 4 hours a day and beyond.

Don't be too overwhelmed. You target specific exercises for what you are working on and it helps tremendously. And you must always look at the 'object of the excercise.' It's not playing everything in the Arban's. It's using the exercises to develop your playing for actual music pieces whether solo or ensemble(although there are actual pieces in there, the main purpose of the book is study).

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ditto!!

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Hey, Ted, I have news for you (or is it just for me?). I started on Arbans in 1955 (I have the 1936 edition which is now falling apart) and IT DOESN'T GET ANY EASIER!:evil:

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I always said I would, but never did, and now if only I could, I'd play the Carnival of Venice from my Arban's. This aside, over and over and then again, I have in the past played many of the exercises in Arban's and I wouldn't swear that I haven't missed any ... or many. Perhaps the best way to play in Arban's is to shut your eyes and randomly open it, and then to play whatever appears when you again open your eyes. This is to say that there seems to be no learning progression in the sequence. I've thought long about this and arrived at a conclusion: You'll never know what you will be called upon to play with a horn or in life.

9. Lupis

Lupis New Friend

Jan 30, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Isn't there a book that's supposed to "guide you through" the Arban?

10. John Dover

John Dover New Friend

Jan 13, 2009
    Portland, OR
    The great thing about the Arban is that there is no right or wrong way to go about it (aside from bad technique and bad playing habits). There is a section and an exercise in there to aid trumpet players in whatever their need is.

I hope you enjoy your current foray into the depths of the Arban. It is a fascinating study into the modern trumpet method.

John Dover
    www.johndovertrumpet.wordpress.com (The Arban According to John)
    www.johndmusic.com