Arbans - Gulp

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tedh1951, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    It's certainly been mentioned here in the past, but bears repeating: get a copy of the Russell Gray recordings of several of the pieces from the Arban method, played on Arban's personal Courtois cornet. It's excellent fare for any time you need a bit of humbling.

As an aside, my granddaughter is currently working up one of the pieces from that book for an audition - despite my huge collection of sheet music. It's still the standard for good reason.

2. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
  3. jake g

jake g Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    Great book, I was lucky in that my uncle was my trumpet teacher. His teaching method was simple, You start on page 1 and learn each page till you get to the last page. It took time, years, but what a course of study. I have been playing for 63 years. Still play every day. Keep working at it.
    Jake

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Thanks Lads, for the support :thumbsup: - Arbans just came as a real surprise :huh: as I have been playing I thought quite successfully, following my comeback (mid-life crisis) a decade ago. I've played by invitation in concert, stage, and marching bands. :dontknow:

I'm not saying that I can't play what's in Arbans, I'm saying I'm incapable of playing some of what's in Arbans and the short exposure to the method has strangely, empowered me, when at first viewing I may have been overwhelmed.

I feel as if I'm back to basics, and it's comfortingly familiar space. Perhaps now I can cover the places where I'm weak. :oops:

While I live, I grow. :thumbsup:

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    "Incapable"!!! Maybe I presently am due to extreme health and dental issues, but I don't think anyone else is unless they are likewise incapacitated. I do remember that Arban's was initially drudgery to me as I kept looking a what was ahead, but that eventually ended as such just became a challenge. I've come to think that Arban's purposely put the entries out of sequence simply to remind the users that basics ALWAYS need refreshing attention.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Sorry Ed - poor choice of words - how does 'currently out of my reach' sit with you?

7. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello Lupis. There are also three Arban intro. condensed books by Carl Fisher, that you can buy on Discount Sheet Music and Books for Piano, Guitar, Choral and more, SheetMusicPlus.com . That would be a good starting point,than onto Eric Bolvin's Arban method and finally the big bad boy itself.

The Carl Fisher books are: My First Arban/My First Arban Book,2/My First Clarke. The First Clarke is a intro into the Clarke Slur studies. Around $32.00 should buy all three.

Good luck to All

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I just checked the copy of Arbans that I have borrowed - 1907.

9. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Ted,

Slurred Interval Training starting around page 125.....

I can almost make my trumpet sound like a saxophone doing this stuff.

Bloody awful.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers

Paul.

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Funny, I used to think that Arban was overwhelming. But I started to think about it differently, imagining that it was composed of several different volumes. Then it started to make more sense.

It is a comprehensive method, so it addresses pretty much all the areas that had to be addressed to produce a competent professional cornetist in JB Arban's days. I don't believe that it's meant to be gone through page after page from beginning to end.

One should used it to meet specific needs as they arise in the course of progressing on the instrument and tackling new pieces. Getting started? It's got basics. Advancing? Rythmic figures and key changes will help with that. Preparing something with tricky double tonguing articulation? JB has exercises for that. Triple tonguing? Got that too. Syncopation? 3rd aisle to the left. Trills, grupetto? in the section on ornaments. Arban is like a department store of solutions for becoming able to play music. And then, of course, it has also the more advanced, put-it-together stuff: Carnival de Venice and such.

It is only difficult to use because it demands a thorough assessment of the player's needs and ability, so as to determine what should be worked on. This is actually the hard part, for which a good experienced teacher is necessary. Using the method becomes simple once one knows where he is and what needs to be done, but that can be difficult for a DIYer. I have completely lifeted that weight of my shoulders: I practice whatever my teacher tells me to and don't worry about it.

tobylou8 likes this.