Arbans - Gulp

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tedh1951, Jan 11, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Paul and Philippe - thanks for the words of reasurrance - this is certainly an all encompassing methodology, one I will need to embrace it seems.

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Just remember the joy is in the journey. Celebrate the successes along the way and don't wait for the end to savor what you have accomplished.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Perhaps you don't play the exercises now as well as you want to (or should) but such just doesn't prevent improvement as with time and effort will become easier ... and more fun. Yes, enjoyment is an eraser of drudgery in any task. Hey, I never could play like I wanted to but I wasn't trying to play like anyone else either.

4. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    Yeah, I have been working on characteristic study one out of this for my college audition and SHEESH, this book is a mouthful of somethin to chew on. as I flipped to the CS1, I saw in depth looks at triads and arpegiations in all keys and I thought "I never even saw this in here!" I usually practice my arpegiations without a book, but I might just flip that thing open to get those down. Arban was incredible. His music not only manages technical sense, but the phrases within are beautiful as well. I am amazed when I see that his pieces aren't just flourished scale studies, mixing in all sorts of variations on scales that would be typical! Love the arban, and to think, I hadnt heard of it before joining TM! :)

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

What's the reason for that?

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Phillipe, your last statement hit the nail on the head! Bravo!:bravo:

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's a good way to approach the book - use it to improve areas where you're weak (double tonguing, intervals, or whatever), and challenge yourself to work out exercises/songs that first look to be impossible to play. Just skipping around the book, playing what's fun and/or what you can play well doesn't do much good, other than just getting lip time.

Over the years, I've managed to learn to play much of what's in there, some of it up to speed, some not...;-), and a lot of it initially looked impossible to me. If you're diligent in your practice (with Arban's and other methods), it will come.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Brian, it is simply a matter of me positioning myself, without thinking too much, so that I can see the score on the stand. I tended to look over the top of my left hand and so I seem to have "crunched" my chest and slightly obstructed my airway in the same process. I thought I'd got Dave Monettes body centering technique sorted (so I must have been bad beforehand).

When my new tutor took over (I've not had a trainer for a while) he made some subtle changes, including the position of the music stand, the height of the bell, Arbans method, my breathing, and the interesting concept that the trumpet need not point to the conductor - which is what I was trying to do - but by aiming at the audience I gain a better view of the music.

Life is full of little revelations isn't it?

Funnily enough, every single observation, by my tutor, makes sense and I'm a little embarrassed that I hadn't got there on my own - the changes have all been quite small, but while my tone hasn't changed (that's good, I like my tone) my volume has and my endurance has improved. I generally fill the 2nd or occasionally the 3rd chair where my volume needs to be up a bit from what I have been playing - so, things are more goodly.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  9. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Thanks for the clarification!

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The current editions are 99.99% the same IMO. Perhaps some typos corrected in newer editions. When you've a good thing that works, it doesn't need changing.