Arbans - Gulp

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tedh1951, Jan 11, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I'm actually 'enjoying' my borrowed copy of Arbans to such a degree that I went and purchased a new one this morning - forked out AUD$48 - is that reasonable do you thnk?:dontknow:

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi Ted,

$48 seems quite reasonable, I have seen editions around $80-$100, mine is a B & H reprint of the 1907 Hawkes and son edition, I am ashamed to admit I have not spent enough time with it over the last 25 years, however if I live long enough, :thumbsup:

Regards, Stuart.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Arban's is tough, but not sequential, so we can't work through it like a novel. If you want to really scare yourself with French music, try Marcel Bitsch.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My memory may be failing, but it seems to me to be in February 2006 it was $48.00 U.S. plus sales tax that I paid for a new Arban's Platinum Edition. If it were absolutely necessary to affirm, I could still resurrect the register receipt and my credit card billing as the packing box that our 2006 financial records ( a box within the box) is well marked and accessable and not scheduled to be destroyed until 2016. As prior stated, such replaces my first worn out and discarded tattered copy. Thus, your purchase in the Land of OZ seems reasonable to me. I concur, that the exercises are not sequential.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't know the exchange rate, but I paid @ $30 6 years ago at Sam Ash. Sounds reasonable.

6. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805

I Like your Rules for your "Arban According to John".

My struggles are knowing if I am doing it correctly in the areas of your Rule #2.2 and #2.3.

Since I am self taught and learned by ear, reading music and knowing how it suppose to sound is a challenge.

Any advise?

If I can hear it, I can play it, and improvising has never been a challenge.

I do have a friend that can't play anything if it is not written down. LOL

7. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    and hey, it comes on kindle too! sweeet

i'm the same, i can't improvise to save my life, even when i try, i find that i'm just playing something else, i.e. a song i heard on the radio, beethoven, whatever. i'm like... incapable of original thought lol

8. B-Flat Cat

B-Flat Cat Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I'm going through my late '60s edition of Arban for my "comeback" on recommendation of my teacher using Eric Bolvin's The Arban Manual. Since Arban is not sequential, the Manual guides you through the entire book in 69 well laid-out lessons (I'm on #8). I play portions of each lesson during my sessions with my teacher, along with whatever piece of music I'm working on. It seems to be working for me. It will work even better when I can carve out more practice time. At the rate I'm going, I hope I live long enough to get through it!