Arbans - help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hey,

I saw this Arban

Arban's Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet, Jb Arban - Shop Online for Books in Australia

How is this different/better/worse than the cornet/trumpet arbans?

Also, I got my new Arban for cornet/trumpet which is edited by thomas hooten and jennifer marotta rather than the red cover cornet/trumpet that had J Augbine or something as editor...

I know page numbers in red one are the traditional numbers that my teacher knows off memory while the new one i got has a CD that well, i doubt il ever use and numbers are all different.

Since im going to spend money to get the book bound nicely... am i better off getting the red cover one i had with normal page numbers or this hooten new one makes no difference? I want to develop to Elmas level playing if that is at all relevant to which versions better as such.

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Or, if you have an iPad, you could get the Arban App and not have to carry a big book around. And for around $8, pretty good value.

3. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I think there is no difference, the method had been written for cornet and saxhorn, now we say "trumpet" because it's a generic word. The method is just about technique, partials and universal fingerings, maybe with transposing it an octave lower it could be useful for a simple french hornist.
    It concerns all instruments which have got three valves, even if nowadays low brass parts are written in Bass Clef...

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nice picture on the cover.
    Amazon.com: arbans
    This link shows what's out there "Arbans-wise". I would buy the cheapest new one and have it spiral bound so it lays flat. My red Arbans took a 45 coil and cost > $6 @ Fedex/Kinkos! I like the iPad scenario but the book doesn't need recharging and can be dropped from stand height without harm.

5. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    in that link there are 2 red covers. One is for trumpet (cornet) (claude gordon)which is the one I used to have but there is also the "trumpet" one (carl fisher) also red cover. Is there a difference between those 2?

Otherwise, would you say who cares I got the white one with all different page numbers, just get it spiral bound?

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Trumpet and cornet use the same methods. Heck, in some of the older blue and tan books it includes alto horn, baritone, and some other lower brass. I've never seen a white Arbans so I don't know it's layout. Carl Fischer is the publisher.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Gxman - in other words, I don't think it matters.

There is text in some that is different but frankly, I've not seen any text in Arban that is advantageous to know or read, when contrasted with other writings by more contemporary pedagogues. Actually, there's a very old version available for free download that, I believe, is just as useful as any other. That is, even though text has been changed at times, the exercises haven't.

8. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    When you are referring to 'text has changed', are you referring to the editors notes/explanations of what is more understood today but the actual written music is identical? Meaning, they didnt go and change dotted notes to no dots, or whatever else?

i never read those notes. I follow what teacher says, i just need the musical content.

9. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I did this. The cover long ago went bye-bye. Body of the book still intact :)

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Its been suggested that's why so many don't get Arbans. I don't know, I'll have to go back and read the notes! ;-)