Arban's interval exercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Jul 12, 2006.

1. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    I think I've read one of your previous posts saying that when you practise the first Arban interval exercise you are supposed to play the bottom notes at forte and the top notes at mf at the loudest. Can you explain the reasoning behind that please? Would the same thing apply to no.s 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hmmm... sure that was me?

Well, I have a notoriously bad memory for certain things but other stuff, I never forget.

At any rate, It sounds like a good idea, anyway. Since folks generally have a habit of weakening their sound as they drop down in to the lower register, it sounds like an exaggeration type exercise to do so. I'm also an advocate of reversing that sort of thing so we have a good balance.

ML

3. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Ooops sorry. Got my facts wrong. You said the upper notes should be mp at the loudest. :shock:

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, there's not a heck of a lot of difference really, right?

ML

5. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Ooops sorry. Got my facts wrong. You said the upper notes should be p at the loudest... I mean pp... I mean ppp. No it's not a lot of difference but me just being nitpicky.

6. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    :dontknow:

7. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    :huh: :think: :dontknow:

8. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    What's up with all the emoticons? Just to clarify, my first statements were said in a jocular manner whilst the last was serious.

10. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Man this exercise is a total chop buster. I can actually feel my cheeks muscles getting a work out!