Arbans is beating me up pretty good...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BustedChops, Mar 13, 2012.

1. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I'm starting on the basics...I've started to use my chest muscles/diaphram more and it's made pushing out high notes easier with less lip compression/pinching. I'm starting on the first pages and working through. I can't afford instruction right now but I think I'm going to get a lot better soon. Hopefully I can join our local hometown band to achieve better sight reading skills.

The fascinating thing about Arbans is that by doing dopey single half note exercises the tone development seems to improve. I have been avoiding the "doa" and utilizing the "tu" more. I have gotten the mechanics of using my tongue like a piston more refined but so much of a long way to go.

My biggest challenge now is transitioning from lower on the staff to upper staff. I seem to have a huge gap in between notes. I can either play extreme lower register, or middle upper register but never seem to go from low to high without losing pitch. One of these days I'll get it...Perhaps a 2 liter portion of water will keep me hydrated enough for greater endurance.

Is it any wonder my favorite practice room is the bathroom...great acoustics and convinience.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yep, those long notes are the way to develop a good tone and good playing habits in general. Like any other facet of trumpet playing, practicing interval jumps makes it easier over time. There are exercises in the book that take you from the lower register to the high and back down again in different keys. These are good to practice to develop more fluidity between octaves. The main thing is just to stick with it. When the exercises get boring, take a break by flipping over to the simple, short melodies toward the back of the book (the 150 Melodies and the Duets). Play through a couple of them, using your breath support and make them musical. That will help your sight reading skills a bit, too. Good on you for getting your attacks down - people who attack notes with "doa", as you say, drive me crazy. I've heard some very good players do that, too, not just folks who have a way to go...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  3. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I'm currently working on playing a Somewhere Over The Rainbow...I can make the transition from the low to high fairly well but there is one portion were it goes from being on the staff to above staff and if I'm not mistaken it's a full octave jump...I can squeak it out but I can't seem to play it out. I'm going to get a better tone next month.

Hopefully the hometown band will do me some good. It's been a tradition to have the band for over 75 years.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Community band can be a great place to get your feet wet. After not touching a trumpet for 6 or 7 years, that's where I first played when starting the comeback trail back in the late 1970's.

5. Avan

Avan New Friend

Mar 9, 2012
    Arbans Pg 125 !!! if my memory serves me correctly helps me.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Lessons would really be a big help for you as your approach is naive. It's OK you are a beginner. On the trumpet it is so much about proper embouchure development. This needs to be done slowly and intelligently. You are thinking too much about what the muscle are doing and playing things before you've really done the ground work necessary. How long have you been playing?

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Arbans is a tough row but its worth it. It beats me up on a regular basis too but I can see results so thats ok.

You say you practice in the bathroom...your gap in tone on the staff might be from lack of breath support,,, stand up and see if that helps. Hope you are a dude and not a chick or this could be tricky. Best wishes.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, the 1st two notes are an octave jump. That was a trick I used to use to teach kids an octave interval. Also, in watching a documentary about the show, many were worried the song wouln't e popular. "who is going to like something that jumps an octave?"

9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    You can't beat Arbans for getting better, except a professional teacher! Good choice. Keep it up!

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    If you are tackling Arbans by yourself, and with no guidance, you really owe it to yourself to get eric bolvin's guide to the book. He's organised a pathway through it that should really be to your benefit to use: ::: Eric Bolvin Music Studios - Publications ::: ARBAN MANUAL