Arbans Question...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ADDER, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ADDER

ADDER Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    London UK
    Hi All

Just got the Arbans Study book and wanted to know from anyone else that used this method, did you commit each study piece to memory before moving on to the next or just play through them (reading)?

Only been playing a couple of months now but would like to keep going in the correct way.

Also, before starting your study period how long do you warm up for and what do you play in your warm up?

Thanks for any info.
    All the best
    Geoff

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    No I did not commit each study to memory and some times I would read them other times I would practice them

If it sounds good you are going in the correct way

My warm up would vary from 1 second to 1 hour. Just depends.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hi Adder! Long term memory for the average trumpeter is 8 measures (12 for blues musicians). Most all of us don't memorize the exercises in...what was that, uhh, Arbans?:stars:

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Contrary to Vulgano's statement, I have memorized several of the Arbans pieces which I have used for solo and duet performances with local community concert bands. The balance of the manual is both educational and useful for periodic refreshers. I normally warm up with a few progressively faster simple scales, followed by chromatically ascending lip slurs, both up and down. This normally takes about 3-5 minutes. After this, I work on whatever I feel that I need from the Arbans for about 1/2 hour. I take a 30 minute break while I sip some water and then, I work on whatever charts I need for upcoming performances. In my experience, I have found no benefit to be derived from any 'cool down session'. Many others claim great benefit from doing a 'cool down'. Maybe I am just wierd.

OLDLOU>>

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I takes a bit of time to figure out Vulgano humour ROFL I bet that he has at least few edition of the Arban Book and was being funny...good atempt Vulgano...try harder ROFL