Arban's "t"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jude, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    The difference between "t" and "d" is one of voicing, not position of articulation; in English we emphasize the difference with aspiration of the unvoiced member of the pair. (What you're hearing as 'dime' could be 'time' with an unaspirated "t".) When people talk about tonguing differently using d and t it doesn't seem to make sense, since they're produced in the same location - any difference may have something to do with vocalic onset in the voiced d, a difference somewhere in the throat (preparing to activate the vocal cords).

I'm trying out various tonguing positions with the trumpet, but my ear isn't good enough to really hear any difference in sound yet. Originally it wasn't good enough to hear the difference between the Russian dental t and the English palato-alveolar t, but my Russian teacher could hear it and would wince, so eventually I learned, in self-defense.

2. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Robin, I HAVE a good teacher. He's also of the just blow, man school. Or maybe he just has no interest in comparative linguistics. Somewhere out there, though, there is a Russian trumpeter who is wondering why his American students all sound funny on the horn. Or he won't hear any difference, and can set me straight. Until he posts, I'll shut up.

3. bigdog

bigdog Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2005
    hawaii
    ya' know jude,
    you got me at the aveolar ridge thing..........
    if you feel it,...... play the buggah, just have fun doing it
    sounds good,get it ? sounds-gooooood,
    aloha,