Are cheaper trumpets eayer to play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Aug 24, 2009.

1. oljackboy

oljackboy Pianissimo User

Feb 26, 2009
    Falls Church, Virginia
    The things that are valued in high-end trumpets are normally lost on beginning players.
    There are few players that can use and/or appreciate the internal intonation and slotting found in most pro-level trumpets when they are struggling to come to grips with the basics.
    That said, there is a very real value to the player's level of confidence when playing a fine instrument. Playing the trumpet requires discipline, tenacity, and a healthy dose of confidence. Does a serious trumpet help in any of these? Of course it depends on the individual.

2. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    The superior qualities, although they may be subtle, would probably be missed by a less experienced player. Part of the problem,since trumpet playing is partially a head game, my be that perhaps you are somewhat intimidated by a more expensive horn. Taking into consideration financial constraints, you over time, will realize that you cannot have too many trumpets(place tongue in cheek here).:roll:

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I resemble that comment!

Instant Rimshot

4. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello Chet Fan. Your best bet in your price range would be a Besson International 800S USA Trumpet made by the Kanstul Company. Sam Ash has I believe, the last of the lot. You get a case,m.p. etc. for $599.00 or $699.00. You will have to recheck the price on the Sam Ash Music Instrument internet site. This is a great valve and buy on this Trumpet. This Trumpet has a nice fixed third slide finger ring like the Pro horns. Even though it is sold as a intermediate student trumpet,many owners believe they play right up there with a #37 Bach Trumpet. I sadly had a like new used one,and sold it trying to buy something better. At my level of playing it was more than good enough. My oldest daughter,who is a very good clarinet player,liked this Besson's sound very much. She advised me to keep it,alas I had a bad case of find the better sounding trumpet New/vintage E-bay fever and sold it off. May try to buy another at a later date.I doubt by the end of the year Sam Ash will have any left. Sam Ash has the Getzen 770SP Trumpet,but for more money and has a adjustable third slide finger ring,to me those things really suck. For the life of me,wonder why Getzen did not put a fixed slide on the third valve slide,of this Getzen 770SP. Even some of the cheap Chinese student horns have that very helpful feature now. Just on price and the intonation third slide improvement.I would go with the Besson International 800S USA made Kanstul trumpet. The Silver plating on these Besson 800 is very good to excellent. If you want a used Pro Grade Lead Horn,that looks to be at a good price. Marsh Woodwinds in North Carolina (USA) has a King Legend 2070S large bore Trumpet, for around $750.00 plus shipping. Many who own them,say they play as good or better than the Conn Vintage One Trumpet. Hope this helps,take care

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    chetfan,

Student level trumpets are actually designed to be easier to play for someone starting out. They have more built-in resistance and are made to withstand the physical abuse typically given them by young folks, this coming at the expense of accurate intonation and a full sound. A beginner is unable to create sufficient resistance with an undeveloped embouchure to produce a good tone and develop some range.

As the player improves the embouchure becomes sufficiently strong that a horn with less resistance (a more open blow) is more suitable. That horn will have much better intonation, be more carefully built and perhaps more delicate, and will have design features associated with "pro" horns, like a 1st valve slide thumb saddle and a fixed third valve slide ring or trigger, and even the controversial reverse leadpipe. And there will be more options of bell size and material, bore size, and finish.

Your embouchure is not fully ready for a new horn, but if you switch (talk the store into a longer play-test and make them oil the valves - they will if they want to make a sale) initially you will have some trouble. But you will adjust and as you do so you will find that you produce a better sound and play more in tune. Be gentle, because a pricier horn will be easier to damage.

I do not believe that an adjustable vs fixed ring on the third valve slide is a sign of a "pro" horn. Conn in the late 50s switched to all adjustable rings because buyers have different-sized hands. It is not cheaper to make an adjustable ring slide than a fixed one. I have big hands and have to fit them differently on the various "pro" horns in my collection. The adjustable ring on my 900S Getzen is more comfortable than any of my others.

veery