Are guitarists/bassists naturally ambidextrous trumpeters or is it common to all?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PGM, Feb 26, 2016.

1. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

I play both the Horny bugger and the trumpet, and all Horny buggers have to learn to play left-handed.

Some call it the Southpaw's Revenge.

2. PGM

PGM New Friend

Feb 11, 2016
    Portugal
    Hi, Gsmonks,

What is a Horny bugger?
    Sorry, but I've never heard of it and i's interesting that it has to be played left-handed.
    If you can post info on it and a picture, it would be most welcomed, my googling didn't show one single entry on it...

Bwanabass, the relation I made between playing it with both hands and the bass playing is based only in the fact that, just like you, if I played a left-handed bass, I would (also) be lost, hence finding it strange that the same doesn't happen with the trumpet (even though, playing it mostly right-handed, there's a slightly better performance playing it with the right hand).
    Strange how in bass I can't do a thing when I change sides and yet, in the trumpet, there's such a small performance difference when changing hands.

3. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

One Horny bugger coming up:

http://www.musicroom.fr/images/catalogue/fullsize/1903643015.jpg

4. JonnyM101

JonnyM101 New Friend

Feb 15, 2016
    Greenwich, UK
    I'm right-handed and started out playing piano in primary school, then moved to the trumpet, gave that up in my late teens/early twenties for bass guitar which I still play. I've just picked up the trumpet again after a 30-odd year layoff and found that I can still remember some finger patterns.

I've never tried playing trumpet left-handed, but I recently did a ton of decorating in our house and noticed I can easily switch hands when using a brush, having similar control with both - particularly useful when up ladders. No idea if this has anything to do with playing bass guitar & trumpet and I wouldn't call myself truly ambidextrous either. (I can't write or play bass left-handed).

I do know the house looks great though ;-)