Are Monette trumpets and mouthpieces really that good?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Sep 13, 2013.

1. bachstradivarius

bachstradivarius New Friend

Sep 27, 2012
    KY
    Hi, I'm just wanting to inquire from some of you "experts" out there about Monette trumpets. I've never played one but I have heard lots of different views on these instruments some say that they are the best of the best and yet most top orchestra musicians don't even use them. Why is that? Also from what, I see their prices are completely off the charts. So could anyone tell me just why Monette's are supposedly THAT good, I mean, you would figure that you get what you pay for, right?

2. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I have never played one either but I have a friend that just bought one. I would suppose that no one can answer you question totally except maybe the people who work there and make them. I know that a lot of research has gone into making them and most if not all of the technology is quite secret. I can say this, my friend's horn sounds amazing and when he uses the flugel mouthpiece you would not know he is not playing a flugelhorn. There must be something to them, I just don't know what it is.:dontknow:

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Your question is like asking if a Rolls Royce worth the money.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    This question seems to come up on TM everyone now and then.

Monette trumpet are the best there is ... for those who like them. Just like Bach, Schilke, Yamaha, Getzen, etc., are the best there is ... for those who like them. Personal preference, our idiosyncrasies, and our own musical goals all factor into this.

Mike

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mike, You've never tried a Harrelson, have you now... Common.... Admit it.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Monettes ARE that good
    Harrelsons ARE that good

You do get what you pay for. The question is... Do you really need it?:dontknow:

7. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    You misquoted me. :-)

My tongue-in-check response was that "Monette trumpet are the best there is ... for those who like them."

But as always, you're right. I've never tried a Harrelson. :-)

Mike

8. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    The best trumpet ever made is the one YOU PLAY...for without it...there is no music.

9. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Absolutely.

I think the OP asks a fair question - "Are Monette trumpets and mouthpieces really that good?" We can debate this question forever. That's cool.

But I wonder if some of us are asking - "WILL Monette trumpets and mouthpieces MAKE ME PLAY that good?" The answer to this question is easy. And John's answer is spot on.

Mike

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    A better question, "Will Monette trumpets and mouthpieces make me play so much better that I can make enough
    extra money to pay them off in a year?"