Are Monette trumpets and mouthpieces really that good?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    I just finished watching a 10 minute video Dave just posted on understanding sound and Monette trumpets, then applying it to each horn they custom make per person. I highly recommend watching it, seeing the difference between jazz player's and classical player's sound concept desires is pretty cool.

Monette Sound Concept Fundamentals is the post, great conversation hopefully to follow!

https://www.facebook.com/monettetrumpets

2. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    +1

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Well........

I am a redhead and my day job is math. I live in Germany and play Monette (and many other instruments) in orchestral, soloist, commercial and big band jazz settings - and know of a couple others that do exactly the same. So what? I am the reason that I get the gigs that I have. MY practice habits and level of preparation insure that I keep getting gigs. The horn is just something that I like and feel that it makes my life easier if the people who book me listen with their ears and not their eyes! It would really piss me off to have someone believe that my playing would be crap on other equipment.

That being said, It would take ANY orchestral musician more time than they really have available to "switch" to anything considerably different than they have used for many years. Not because they are not good enough, rather because we are creatures of habits and changing habits is not easy.

Monette trumpets and mouthpieces are REALLY that good - IF you are really the type of musician that gets along with that type of "good". If you are not that type of musican, any change can be HELL!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is one of the stupidest statements I ever read at Trumpetmaster. Just because the Monette isn't owned or played by 99% of the orchestral players (if anyone could even back up that statement with real numbers) does not mean that they do not like them. How the hell do you get off with such an ignorant assumption like this? In many cases the horn used by the orchestral player is determined by the section already seated - regardless what the player may or may not like.

But to entertain the thought - however ridiculous:
    1) what constitutes "liking" an instrument
    2) why should there not be diversity in an orchestral setting?
    3) what makes Manny Laureano (a well known Monette orchestral player) unsuitable for a position in another orchestra?
    4) what makes Mireia Farr├ęs of the Barcelona Symphony Orchestra unsuitable for a position in another orchestra?
    5) what would change if the New York Philharmonic or Chicago Symphony decided to change the whole section to Monette trumpets - would the music world collapse? Would the players become instantly "better"?

I take great exception to such stupid statements that cannot be backed by any serious data. There are reasons that Bach took hold many years ago in the US and ONLY Yamaha has recently been able to make headway. There are reasons why Bach trumpets are not often found in German or Austrian orchestras. That does not mean that the players don't like them.

As I do play a Monette in an orchestra in Germany with great results and have done so since 1997, I can attest to the fact that the proof is in the pudding. Assumptions, especially those that have no serious data. All, of my colleagues that have played my horn "like it". Perhaps not enough to to buy one, but that was not the assumption.

Every orchestral trumpet player needs a stable of instruments - more today than ever before. A C-Trumpet may be the main axe, but piccs, Bb, natural trumpets, cornets, Eb and D trumpets all are used with a great deal of regularity.

Instead of making stupid assumptions that do not help anyone, list the things that YOU firsthand KNOW are wrong with Monette instruments - so much that YOU do not play or like them. Maybe if you even have any experience here, I'll give you my list (yes it does exist - or my Bachs, Yamahas, Selmers too!)

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Robin,
    You said a bunch of things I was thinking and just didn't have time to post because I was out playing gigs with my Monette that nobody likes.

I was going to tell the guy to write to Manny and explain why he shouldn't play the Monette. If Manny changed to another brand based on this kids recommendation, I'll send him a hundred dollars.

6. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    It is interesting that in my time here at TM. The topic of Monette anything seems to bring on an argument. These things are incredible to play. It is something that you have to experience to really understand. If you have not played one it is really unfair to comment. Plus, the trouble these guys go through to customize the instrument for you can only be appreciated if you have seen the process.

BB

7. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Amen BB! I get my P3 STC this December and can't wait. My shop visit in August was insanely fun AND intense for two days. The time they take with you (appropriately so) is fantastic, I really felt they got under my hood to understand everything I wanted to do, sound like etc. Concept and philosophy talk about trumpets keeps the unseemly price point arguments at bay.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have played one and it's as nice as any horn I've played. It's not better, but it's nice.Will I personally ever pay that much for a horn when I know I'm not in the 1% that can even tell the difference? Probably not. For the Adam Rapas of the world, play on! For guys that look at Monette as a panacea to their playing ills, they are sorely disappointed whether it's a horn or mpc. Part of the problem is the limited number of horns produced (play before you pay TM MANTRA!!). That probably will not change. I personally know players with horns and mpcs that had no business with that kind of equipment and now they bad mouth Monette. Their only qualification is a formerly fat checkbook!) :D
    Then when a Monette owner rubs their nose in it.... whadya expect? SO, is it worth it (and price is the op's consideration)? If the OP has enough money and time, he/she can find out and get back to us! BTW, where is bachstradivarius? Have we been trolled??? :shock::shock::shock:

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    This thread is kind of old so the first poster got his moneys worth.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    [​IMG]