Are Monette trumpets and mouthpieces really that good?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Sep 13, 2013.

1. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    Like I said in another thread. You have to choose the equipment that works best for you. Equipment that let's you do wat you want with the least resistance.

My trumpet teacher who's the solo trumpet for the Belgian National Orchestra swears by his X
    Xeno. He has no problem blending in with anyone. The ears not the trumpet make you blend in. Anyone who tels you otherwise doesn't use his ears enough.

Grz.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I played a symphony job where the guy playing first was playing a silver plated Monette 993 C trumpet. I had never seen one and asked about it. He told me that he was sick of being excluded from the auditions because they saw a Monette. Having it silver plated would trick them to not know what brand it was.

The guy did get a full time job with an orchestra shortly after that. Funny, I heard he doesn't play Monette anymore. I think he changed to Yamaha. Maybe now that he's big time, they pay him or give him the trumpet. Who knows?

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Or someone just made some baseless demand that he play either Y or B....too bad.

4. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Another interesting thing. My teacher, who is a symphonic player, also teaches brass techniques at a university. When the load of very mediocre, abused trumpets arrived we pulled some out, plus he had his own Bach Strad. He tested them, playing orchestra excerpts while I listened. He sounded fantastic no matter what he played. He had the same incredible sound, on different student trumpets, and whatever mouthpiece came with the trumpet. All he did (according to him) was pick up the metal tube and project what was in his head.

BB

5. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    I admit I'm not a classical player hence ordering a P3 STC. No way that would gel. However, getting the most versatile horn for the most different sounds I desire this is absolutely the way to go...for me. As I mentioned before, I believe a Monette only enhances what the horn player already produces sound wise. For the classical players though not having to head nod to be in tune and the constant pitch center of the mouthpiece AND horn for starters alone makes it worth investigating. Here is a link to Manny Lauereano playing and talking about his XLT STC C trumpet...pretty cool.

MANNY LAUREANO PLAYING PRANA XLT STC C TRUMPET - YouTube

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Manny is the bomb!

7. bachstradivarius

bachstradivarius New Friend

Sep 27, 2012
    KY
    Wow is all I can say...... It would seem that there are many different views on this particular topic and that goes without saying...... I've had time to think things over and all I can say is everyone is different. Me personally I prefer my Yamaha 8335RGS, it is just the trumpet for me. As for everything else I guess you could say that to some it is worth it but to me, not so much. Even though I have never played one I personally don't think that it's worth about 13,500 more than my current axe but then again that is me. I have found my trumpet and I love it wholeheartedly. We are all different and when we play our sound is different, our choice of equipment is definitely our own and if that helps make things better than so be it. I'm not going to argue the point anymore since really it's all moot. I'm just going to go back to what I'm doing and enjoy what I love best.... play the trumpet and not really care about the equipment because simply it's what I prefer and that's all that matters. Good day everyone and happy playing.

8. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    If you're ever near Portland, OR stop by the shop and play one sometime for fun. Get a firsthand experience even if just kicking tires. An interesting musician experience.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Is a Monette worth it? How much is a semester of college? Is that worth it? Think of all the lessons you could take to equal one semester. Which college should I go to? NEC? It cost a lot. There are great teachers at the community college.

If you like the way Monette plays and it works for you, is it worth the money? Maybe a Bach works too, just doesn't have the little edge, that little bit better. Well, you put the thing to your mouth several times a day. Use it to create music. A bridge to the audience. Hopefully an intimate relationship with them too.

Round numbers, Bach about 3000.00 Monette about 9000.00 Is 6000.00 too much extra to pay to have a better relationship? To me, no. I would pay more if I had to. I love to play. I love the freedom the Monette offers. I know most Bach trumpets are different. When I would tell mine to do something, it didn't always easily conform. I could always make it do it. Not so on the Monette. It always does what I ask. Is that worth 6000.00? I don't worry about the things the trumpet won't do I just play. What's in my head comes out the the audience, easily.

tobylou8 likes this.
  10. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    I thought we exhausted the money talk thing a couple pages back and we're now focusing on the musical aspect it brings. Sheesh.