Are Monette trumpets and mouthpieces really that good?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Sep 13, 2013.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, it is the OP's thread and they finally showed up! :-) Is a $10,000 lawn mower better than a $ 2000 lawn mower? To me it is because it's how I make my living! They both cut grass but the 10G mower is built better and to higher standards. I have several with thousands of man hours on them and they still do the job. You will never get thousands of man hours on a 2G mower! B15M is spot on the money (pun intended)! ;-)

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I also disagree that the Monette "enhances" Manny's sound. Obviously Manny likes what it does for him, but Manny is the bomb regardless of the horn he plays. Have Manny play a Monette, Harrelson, Taylor, Hub Van Laar, Inderbinen, or any other uber expensive horn in an adjacent room and then you play "Name That Horn". Also throw in an Ambassador without compression just for the fun of it.
    Violinists can’t tell the difference between Stradivarius violins and new ones : Not Exactly Rocket Science
    Stradivarius v modern violins: why this latest study strikes a discordant note | Music | theguardian.com

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Exhausted the money talk about Monette? That's like finding a cure for N+1. :-)

Going way, way back to the OP's original question, I'll stick with my original response.

Monette trumpets and mouthpieces are the best there is ... for those who like them. Just like Bach, Schilke, Yamaha, Getzen, etc., are the best there is ... for those who like them. Personal preferences, our idiosyncrasies, and our own musical goals all factor into this.

Mike

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Players of Manny's caliber don't play expensive horns like Monette because of how they sound.

They play expensive/rare trumpets because it is the best instrument they can get ahold of that sounds how they need it
    to with the least amount of effort.

5. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    I own a number of mouthpieces. I have 4 monettes and 4 Best Brass Mpc's some Curry's and Heim, Kanstul etc. The Monette and Best Brass Mpc are the best in tune pieces I have played through out each register of the horn. Notes that are out of tune with a normal mouthpiece are much more in tune on Monette and Best Brass. The Biggest difference between Monette and Best Brass however is Monette prefers rather open throats and back bores which gives you a nice big open sound but little resistance. It will tire you out over the coarse of a 4 hour gig. Best Brass has a treaded throat that creates the right amount of back pressure to save your endurance on long demanding gigs. Both Mpc's are well worth the money IMO.
    Trumpets? I have only played a couple Monettes, one was Terrance Blanchards horn in one of our lessons. I had a Harrelson Bravura at that time. The Monette made me sound different. It changed my tone and I sounded like those guys with the Monnette trumpets. They get that one sound and there is very little varying from it. It did sound beautiful though but I will never have the money so thats that.

6. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Terrence's Raja eh? I think that trumpet is 5 lbs. if I'm not mistaken. Yeah that's definitely a darker sound right there. How cool you have the opportunity to learn from him and to have played his trumpet!

7. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans

[​IMG]

Plus I got to record with him for the soundtrack of "Little Rootie Tootie" which should be out in the fall. His kids went to school with mine as well. Elementary school all the way through NOCCA (New Orleans School of creative arts). He is a really down to earth guy that knows his shit.

8. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    I have met and played Mr. Monette's trumpets and vouch for this man's ability to build an instrument for any individual. He is a master at his art and I feel that he is capable of building an instrument specifically for any individuals playing ability.

In an earlier post, ( The Disturbing Monette Video | The Trumpet Blog ) I was accused of questioning Mr. Monette's ability as a trumpet designer when in truth, my complaint was directed only at his video commercial. As a trumpet designer and maker, I think he is one of the most innovative and unique trumpet makers today. As for the cost of his instruments, that is something only each individual can justify.