Are Monette trumpets and mouthpieces really that good?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Sep 13, 2013.

1. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Yep

2. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    There's only so much you can do with a brass tube. Show me a trumpet that has valves that never need to be oiled. Show me a trumpet that doesn't have 1st and 3rd valve slides because intonation is perfect through out the range. Show me a trumpet that dumps the water/spit automatically and never needs cleaning. Now you got a better trumpet. Until then, they are all pretty much the same.

3. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Why does the trumpeting world always come up with these questions? Every time some trumpeter discovers Monette and does some Internet research on them, trumpetmaster.com gets a new "How good are Monette's for real" thread.

Here is my answer for why MANY people think Monette's are SOOO much better than any other hand made horn ever (even if they've never played one).
    Dave Monette knows how to play to the trumpeters of the world. In other words, he knows how to ADVERTISE! He posts on huge social networks such as Facebook and YouTube. And what does he choose to post? Videos. Videos of world class trumpet players such as Wynton Marsalis, Manny Lureano, Adam Rapa, Ingrid Jenson, Scotty Barnhart, Trombone Shorty, and the list goes on and on and on. These videos show the world that these players choose his equipment over all others. Also, if you've ever seen these videos you know that there is never a negative word said. It's all "wow this horn plays itself", or "wow the intonation is perfect", "the high notes just pop out of this horn"..... Everything a trumpeter dreams of! So it must be the closest thing to trumpet perfection! Right??? Who knows...
    But think about it... How many other trumpet companies do you know of that regularly post videos of (multiple) world class players singing praises about their instruments? I can only think of Schagerl...
    It's just like any other company out there. Get somebody famous to use your product... Your reputation and most likely sales will go UP.

So, in my opinion, that is where all the hype comes from.
    By the way... I don't have anything against the Monette Company or their products. I'm just voicing an opinion.

Kujo

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    What makes us buy any trumpet? Are any of them worth the money? There's a guy on here (or used to post a lot) that plays an imported Scherzer picc. He is a really good player so should the Scherzer factory close? The import clearly works. Trent played an Adams and has access to almost any brand. Why have a different factory? He's a good player and Adams is affordable so why have another brand? Adams has a ton of models. For years we all got it done on a Bach. Why change?

I took some lessons with a great player. 150.00 each lesson. I sat there played and listened and then it was done. 150,00 gone. Worth it?

We're all here for the same thing. To make music. You take a piece of metal and put it to your face and make music. I use my hunk of metal several times a day. Is it worth 9000.00 to have what works best for me? Small price to pay. Really it's about 6000.00 because another brand would be about 4000.00. For me, it's not about the brand or price, it's about making music.

5. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Doesn't Trombone Shorty play an Edwards?

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I think the Monette Prana mouthpieces are very good. They are not a lot of money when you compare them with saxophone mouthpieces. Just an average, off the machine but not hand finished Otto Link NY Super Tone Master will cost $200 new. They're okay. My main tenor mouthpiece cost $600. :shock: Add to that the need to buy reeds for it and, if you're like me, vodka to soak them in .... it adds up! Compared to THAT, the Monette mouthpieces are really a bargain. :D

Turtle

7. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    How is it possible that we've got a 4 page thread mentioning both Monette and Wynton Marsalis, and I haven't seen a single bucket of popcorn or any bunnies with pancakes on their heads?

8. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    It seems to be a matter of taste. All the monettes I have heard have a distinctive sound, one I actually don't like. I have heard that if you aren't holding one with two hands it needs to be in its case, rather than on a stand, they are that easy to buckle.

As for the comparison to Rolls Royce, it may hold true - they drive like a ponderous barge and if you have to ask how much it costs to service one, you're not rich enough to own it. LOL

If I had that kind of money, I'd go straight to Andy Taylor and make him richer.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    You have me intrigued. What makes Andy's trumpets better?

10. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    B15M, it's all a matter of taste. I can't say that Andy's trumpets are better than Dave Monette's, but I do prefer their sound to Monette's.

But then, even if I had the money to buy a Rolls Royce, I still wouldn't.