Are Monette trumpets and mouthpieces really that good?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Sep 13, 2013.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    If I had the money to buy a Rolls Royce ... I'd probably buy a few more trumpets. :-)

Back to the OP's original question...

I'm not sure what makes a Monette mouthpiece better. They claim to have a technological edge -- the "constant pitch center". This might be something significant. Then again, it might be just smoke-and-mirrors. Who knows? So for me, they are "different", not "better". And for me, "different" isn't worth my time or my money.

Mike

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
  3. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    @TrumpetMD - So it looks like people are magnetically attracted to Monettes ROFL

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria

Rolls Royce may or may not be a good parallel. In the UK they're seen by many as the car for the scrap metal merchant made good. The 'discerning' wealthy were supposed to drive Bristols.

[​IMG]

Now what would be the trumpet version of the Bristol? :whistle:

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hmm - let's see - you mean a boutique trumpet from a manufacturer recently rescued from bankruptcy? Would something from the Schreiber & Keilwerth York range qualify?

--bumblebee

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nice comparison. You are adding some of the best horns that integrate personal taste with a contrast as to variety of flavors. Both of Monette and Taylor are examples of the finest horns made. I would like to add Harrelson into this mix. They have a nice, warm sound, but what they add to this spectrum is a real energy efficient technology that makes there horns very easy to play with excellent slotting at minimal effort. That too, comes with a price.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or alternatively, Monettes are made from magnets:dontknow:

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    There was once a TV ad for washing powder which claimed to attract dirt out of clothes like a magnet. This is a brilliant claim because if somebody complains the powder isn't very good at cleaning clothes the manufacturer only needs to demonstrate the difference in cleaning effect of running a magnet over the clothes and washing them using their powder.

Whatever it is about Monette mouthpieces I really like them. I have a couple I use and have rejected a couple of other ones. A few non-Monettes I have I do use on occasion, but despite similar dimensions they don't please me quite as well as the Monette ones. I can't really put my finger on it - comfort is similar, blow is similar, pitching accuracy/ease is similar, range ease is about the same, tone quality is different. That said, I don't (yet) sound as good (though I'm very good, I as a trumpeter must add) as I would like to, or as (a number of) Monette players sound, and there are (a number of) non-Monette players who sound better than I do.

--bumblebee

9. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Unparalleled attention to detail and physics (tuning slide shape for one) coupled with applying those techniques into trumpet development separates them from the pack. Couple that with them tailoring a horn to what you want exactly all custom and handmade it's hard to find a better product.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You just described a Harrelson trumpet as well. A better trumpet, at a better price (relatively). That cannot be beat.