Are Monette trumpets and mouthpieces really that good?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Sep 13, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So does Monette. I believe we both can agree to the fact that these are both custom craftsman that innovatively build their own horns from listening closely and working closely with their costumers. What I am proud of from both artisans is they are American and man do I wish all American industries worked as close as these individuals do with their costumer. This is a priceless virtue no matter what the cost.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    A "vastly improved product"? As you said, of course, this is very subjective.

As for me, I'm no fool. Google has drones. Apple does not. Google is going to take over the world. My allegiances are clear. ;-)

Mike

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Apple products suck. I'm a programmer, therefore my opinion is correct.

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    To return to trumpets... I think the OP said "almost no orchestra players use them". And to be sure, classical trumpet players very rarely own and play Monettes. For one, they usually can't afford them as private instruments, and the orchestras usually can't, either. And of course, Monettes are very special beasts in that they seem to be made more or less exclusively for Jazz players. Imagine doing Mahler 5 on a Monette... yes, you're bursting into a chuckle, yet that's what it all is about:

Trumpet music being as diversified as it is, you just can't have "the best trumpet". You can only have "the best trumpet for the job" and, even more important, "the trumpet I can do a given job best with."

I remember a concert last year, with Munich's ESME organization. They have a symphonoy orchestra, a choir, a big band and a jazz combo. Originally, I was only asked to play in the big band... as it turned out, I was asked to help out in the orchestra as well. So I lugged my best trumpet around:
    Best trumpet #1 - Scherzer rotary high-G, for Handel's Hallelujah and two other Handel pieces.
    Best trumpet #2 - Ganter G7a rotary Bb, for Sibelius' Karelia Suite
    Best trumpet #3 - Ganter V8 piston Bb, for Jungle Book Medley
    Best trumpet #4 - Jupiter 812 R piston Bb, for some screamy bits in the big band
    Best trumpet #5 - Olds Ambassador cornet, for Muskrat Ramble and Li'l Darlin'
    Best trumpet #6 - Courtois 154 R flugel, for Moon River and a few other bits.

Get the message?

tobylou8 likes this.
  5. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Monettes are that good to those that like how they sound and are horrible to those that do not like that sound. That is why some use them and why others do not.

I have seen Classical type music done by Chris Botti (Such as Ava Maria) etc on a "Jazz trumpet" (Martin Committee large bore) and it worked fine. I seen Maurice Andre seem to always use the same trumpet he uses on the videos I have seen, as did Rafael Mendez etc.

I think if there is just one right sound for you, then you will be on the search to find that particular trumpet that gives you what you are after and therefor you will not be interested in having more than the one trumpet because all others are not 'that' one. On the other hand if its neither here/nor there and you are not that particular, then it makes sense to use many.

Also don't forget that most will say it is not in the horn but you how one thing sounds. So from that perspective, even the idea of "this is a classical trumpet, this is a jazz trumpet" is null and void. You make it jazz, or you make it classical. Which then tells me, one trumpet can do everything (if you can), it did for those other guys!

It is much more simple to have a bunch of 'good enough's' vs finding the 'perfect' one for you. It exists, question is, do you care that much to find it, are you that particular (anal) about the whole thing that a minor nuance will determine whether you want it or not. I am, most are not. That is why most have many and few have one.

6. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
  7. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Monette absolutely makes classical trumpets. When you venture into the P3/P7/Ajna/Tantra/Rajna mid shank plus trumpet lines of course it gets darker. I don't sense anyone is willing to listen and very dug in, not willing to entertain another point of view. Too bad, I was hoping for more out of the members here...bummer.

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Classical is a mindset, not a horn choice.

gmonady likes this.
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I do think people get tired of Monette apologists. I think they are beautiful horns that play well. But to the op's point, are they worth the money? I don't think for the 99% of players out there they are. Dave only makes around 72 horns annually. So, it's rare to see one used by a pro period, let alone symphonies. Do they sound great? Yes! Are they readily available to ANY American symphony? No, and that's the bottom line. So it doesn't matter if it's the perfect horn for EVERY situation, they aren't available to the masses and that's the way Dave wants it.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    As an aside, how rare are Monette horns? If the 6 horns a month for 30 years is an agreeable number, that's roughly 2200+/- horns. There were 10 times as many '63 Corvette Sting Rays with the split rear window made and its a rare vintage Corvette.