Are Monette trumpets and mouthpieces really that good?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    I'd love for the conversation to change from the always famous price point. Watch some YouTube videos of some of the best around playing and let's dialogue in the thread. Flumpet verses P3, so much to go on for starters.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well that sounds like a good idea. It's not what the op asked but sounds like a good topic maybe with the caveat that price not be mentioned. We all know they're pricey! ;-)

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    There is a reason that 99% of orchestral trumpet players do not play or even LIKE Monette instruments, and it isn't $$. Let's start there, because that has more to do with the OPs question.

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Unfortunately, that fact is almost unknown outside Monette fan club circles... and Monettes tend not to reach Europe...

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I saw my first Monette in the flesh a couple of weeks ago. Didn't get to try it as I didn't know the owner. However a friend of mine, a good professional player, played it. After he'd said all the right things to the owner, he came over to me and said it's not a patch on your Eclipse. Pleased me no end.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    List of symphony orchestras in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's a link to the number of US orchestras. The numbers just don't add up for Monette to even consider challenging the ubiquitous Strad. If every principal was handed a Monette, that's over half of all Monette's total production ever (if 2200 is our base). There are 5 other continents out there with some level of symphonic music. ;-)

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Is there a source for these statistics?

I happen to personally know a classical player who swears by Monette.

As for them not reaching Europe, some of that is because of distance and artisan scale production. Many European players still make the trip to get one, which speaks on their motivation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avWcbIjtktM

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Saying "Monette's don't work for classical music" is about as relevant as saying "redheads can't do math".

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Please tell us the reason.

10. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I played a Bach MT Vernon 3C which I was rather happy with. I went to Monette as part of a 50th birthday present for pure curiosity. I worked with Jason trying different mouthpieces to what suited me best. I loved my Monette and had no intention of changing at all. But, I was having difficulties matching other members of horn section. My teacher noticed it too. In fact, he thought something was wrong with the horn. He has a stock Bach 3C handy and said try that. I did and we matched in sound perfectly (he plays a 1 1/4) and the same was true with the rest of the horn section. I honestly do not know what it was.

As an aside, I had been playing the Monette for about a year or so and he made the switch literally two-weeks before the concert. I said won't that screw me up. I always read that switching like that can be "screw up your face". He said you just played absolutely fine; focus on playing music and not your embouchure. He was right, as usual. I do not like my Bach 3C as much as the Monette, it feels smaller. But, I guess it is supposed to be about the music and not how the mouthpiece feels.

BB