Are now girls better trumpet players than us guys ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dupac, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Recently, two new posts on TM remind us that, in this early 3rd millenium, women are getting the upper hand :
    "listen to this 5th grader", with a video that made The Dutch Guy (and others) jealous.
    "TenThing", an other beautiful video that also made jealous some "silly boys" (isn't this a redundancy, Flugelgirl ?).
    We have to be lucid, brothers : times are changing ! When I was young, all trumpet players were guys, remember Valaida Snow ; all trombone players were guys, remember Melba Liston ... but ... what am I saying ?

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Hmmmmmmmm......

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It depends what you mean by "better". Seeing as how the majority of brass media sales go to males, world class trumpeteers with an edge on leg contour are "better" suited for getting market share.

I personally do not think that there is any advantage based on sex or race if music is your only focus.

I close my eyes at concerts most of the time anyway. Most soloists are moving around too much and that is distracting to me. I also like to be at least 50 feet from the stage to get a bigger, more integrated picture. Most perfumes do not travel that far.

4. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Male, female, doesn't matter....there is no 'them' or 'us'. Some people can play, some can't. Many try.

bigtiny

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I really wouldn't say it's about quality or marketing - I think there are more female trumpeters in the world just because it's more acceptable in today's society to be one! I can't think of how many times I've heard a colleague state he wished he'd lived in the swing era, and I have to respond that I would much rather live in the current time. Today, I can make a living playing the music I love, where in the 1940s-1960s it would be more likely that I'd be stuck at home tending to babies and not accepted into most groups. I am so glad to be living in a time where I can be accepted in the profession I choose! :)

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Exactly what I wanted to suggest ... with a bit of humor. And with all my respect for women like V. Snow and M. Liston, who have been able to be known as brass players, at a time when women were mostly accepted as singers or playing piano, harp or flute... And be sure I don't feel nostalgic of old times, all the contrary !

7. hornblatt

hornblatt Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2005
    DC area
    Five out of the six trumpeters in McGill's wind symphony are female and our section is fantastic. It would probably be just as fantastic if it were five men. I think it's just beginning to even out because it's so much more acceptable for women to play trumpet now. I don't think we're any better, just that we're more noticeable because there are more of us haha.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I grew up with 4 sisters - no brothers. I can positively say that there are more reasons than how many there are why female trumpeters are more noticeable. For which I will be eternally grateful!:D

veery

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    On this note, I could start with women sections where they scratch each others eyes out, just like the men mob each other. I am talking about first hand experience on the road, not stories over a beer.................

10. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've spent most of my career being the only woman in the section - or sometimes there might be one other. It was kind of a culture shock the first time I played with an all-female big band - communication was very different sometimes! Men tend to communicate much more directly than women, and I am much more accustomed to "YOU are sharp HERE *point*." than "We might want to check intonation in the third bar - someone's sharp." It was also the first ( and only!) trumpet section I've ever played with where I was the tallest member of the section - and I'm 5'3" ! It made listening in the section much different because the lead player's bell was so much lower than I am used to. It was a great band, but definately took some getting used to!