Are plastic mouthpieces less professional?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Apr 9, 2009.

1. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I remember a thread where we had about two or three players say that they were playing in such cold weather that the mouthpiece ripped skin off thier lips. Rowuk, I think, was one of them. I was just wondering if you didn't use a plastic one just because you didn't have one with you, or maybe you just don't have any. Come to think of it, I have never seen or heard of a professional trumpet player using a plastic mouthpiece for a concert or a gig. Any sugesstions? HSO

2. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Bobby Shew is about as professional as they come...there is a youtube
    clip of him playing a Kelly plastic piece (can't find it now- blocked at school).
    Check it out...
    Andrew

3. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Lets just hope not! I was planning on getting a Kelly mouthpiece before Marching Band season starts this summer. Because it'll be my first year and it gets p-r-e-t-t-y cold here!ha

Interesting thread though, got to hear what others say about it...

4. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I don't think it is unprofessional to use a plastic mp if it works for you and fits the situation. What is unprofessional is using something for appearances sake that doesn't benefit your playing or the group sould.
    A good trombonist and a tuba player in my fine concert band use plastic MP's evidently for their assets musically.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Fred Mills is playing on a GR mouthpiece with a plastic rim...not pro? Don't worry, everything is pro if it sounds pro - that's the only thing that really counts!

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I agree with MFfan. If the situation fits, and you're comfortable with the plastic mouthpiece then go for it. "Back in the day" I tried a few when my marching band/drum corps buddies would break them out in the cold weather, but I didn't like them. The plastic doesn't adjust to the temperature of your lips like metal does, so they felt less responsive to me.

To each his own...

7. hornblatt

hornblatt Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2005
    DC area
    The only unprofessional thing about the plastic mouthpieces is the color. In my opinion, coming to a gig with a nice horn and a bright blue mouthpiece makes you look a bit foolish. That said, Jens Lindemann used a bright red one at NTC one year for the effect.... I do know a lot of horn players with subtle (clear, white, tan) plastic rims that are hardly noticable.

8. lemmon13

lemmon13 New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    i actually like how they play...i actually like the sound they make i dont know how to describe it but i just like it...at my school we arent aloud to use them at preformance but it was ok to at practice and suck espically in cold marching band practive

i have a clear one i can under stand what one of the early post was talking about how a bright blue one could look un professional

9. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    No offence to anyone, but I just never can get a good sound out of them

10. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    That's how Jens uses his red tux lining, flashing for effect!ROFL