Are plastic mouthpieces less professional?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Apr 9, 2009.

1. hornblatt

hornblatt Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2005
    DC area
    It also wasn't a trumpet mouthpiece. He was playing a baritone at a trumpet convention.... with a bright red mouthpiece.

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    The most important thing is how it sounds. I have a clear one, but I sound horrible on it. Sounding bad IS unprofessional, so I don't use it. :)

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Another way of playing a regular mouthpiece in very cold weather is to coat the mouthpiece with clear nail polish.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I used a Schilke 18 with a delrin rim when I was in the Army band. The sound I think was a bit "softer, but not less professional. I did rip the skin off of my upper lip in a church gig. My Schilke got stolen (with my horn) and as I wasn't in the band marching outdoors anymore, went back to metal.

The problem is that the eyes play as much of a part in how other peoples playing is judged. If the jury "sees" a plastic mouthpiece, you may have a problem. There are major orchestras out there that will disqualify you for not using the one or 2 brands of horns that some brand-blind idiot determined is necessary to play like he does. If the results proved that this helped, I could understand it. I have never seen, heard or experienced a better performance due to "perfectly matched" equipment. Where I come from, the PLAYER makes a MUCH bigger difference than any hardware! Farmers have long known that monoculture usually ends up in sick/dead crops. Not all musicians have gotten that message!

So HSO, for playing outdoors, or where it may be cold, fine. NEVER take a plastic mouthpiece to an audition. Some people are just "looking" for things that they can't hear!

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I would imagine that nail polish is somewhat toxic, so I would hesitate to recommend this approach. Between pressure, saliva, vibrations, and warmth created during playing, I would think the nail polish would break down and get injested...

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    let a chip of that nail polish get into the horn - no irreparable damage, but at least one of the valves is going to stop moving. Nail polish offers no "insulation" as a real plastic rim does..