Are trumpet players like golfers?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChinTurret, Feb 14, 2016.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Golf is what you do when you can't play trumpet.

Tom

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Golfers are just as gullible as trumpet players, tack an extra few yards and the golfer will buy the latest fad in sticks.

Regards, Stuart..

3. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Trumpet players are like golfers in one way: it's not you against an opponent (as in boxing or football). It's you against the course (or you against the horn).

In golf, if you have ever birdied a hole, then you have demonstrated the physical ability to birdie every hole on the course. In other words, you have demonstrated the physical ability to shoot a score of 54 on a normal golf course. If you fail to do so on your next outing, it is your mental limitation and not the fault of any opponent, or the clubs, or the course.

On the trumpet, if you have ever played a perfect phrase from Arban's, then you have demonstrated the physical ability to play the instrument with perfection. If you fail to do so in your next performance, it is your mental limitation, and not the fault of the horn, or the composer, or the conductor, or the mouthpiece, or the horn.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A golf player is like a conductor and trumpet player together. There is no one left to blame, hence the immature behaviour after a train wreck.

That being said, both trumpeter and golfer train fine motor activity to the nth degree to become masters. Many of the body and mind use things apply universally. They separate at the art form level.

We would need a symphony of golfers to hit the conductor (which in some cases is also a type of hole) with precise timing, speed, height. It will never happen. The golfer has never trained following the conductor. They have never trained harmony or real time interaction. They do not see themselves as part of a greater whole.

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Yes I have done just that. When in HS, freshman year couldn't no matter how much I mashed I couldn't get that high C. Chucked the King as hard as I could and watched it fly. Only damaged the bell and I was able to bend back out
    Trying to teach myself guitar back then also netted a busted Strat copy. Try to learn on my own was super frustrating, I just wanted to sound like Iron Maiden. Nowadays I'm almost OCD about the care of handling my instruments

6. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Is that possible?

7. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    I mean, you are just playing with stereotypes. I am sure there are players like this that are crazed, immature, destructive people, yet there are many that are not.
    Anyone can be destructive, there could be a flute player (or multiple) that uses their flute as a weapon and freaks out and they would just be seen as a freaky flute player.

Did you read through all of my pointless gibber-jabber? If you did, I feel slightly bad for you. ;-)

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, they say golf is a game where a little ball is chased by men too ol to chase anything else...

9. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
  10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Something has to relieve the crushing boredom of golf. If throwing clubs wakes up people in the gallery, mission accomplished.