Are trumpet players like golfers?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChinTurret, Feb 14, 2016.

1. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    The analogy between trumpet players and golfers runs deeper.... When I played golf I could go out one day and shoot 80 and the next time out, under similar circumstances, I might shoot 90 (which was quite a bummer). The similarity with playing my ax is that I can sound like a decent horn player one day and come back a few days later and have a sound like I was shooting bogey golf. Stuff happens....

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My take. A golf performance is all about hitting balls. A trumpet performance is all about having balls.

3. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    Figuratively, not necessarily literally! Lol

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    LOL

I did get a trumpet in my shop which was smashed up by a very good player who blew an audition and lost it. He traded it in for a used instrument of the same brand and model. I gave him its worth in parts. It was trashed. I took it as a challenge and restored it, requiring special order valve mandrels and a complete refit with oversize valves.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ....or ovaries. (which are really testicles that just haven't descended)

6. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    Just had to go there! :)

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey, I'm a physician. For me, I go there every work day. it's just another day at the office.

8. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    This may seem shocking, but I normally don't!

9. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    Come on, it isn't me! Its always the mouthpiece, or the horn, or the man sucking the lemon in the third row back, or.....

ROFL

10. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    Well except that all those guitar players have in the video make so much money playing that they can afford to trash their equipment for the show... I don't know of many trumpet players that could afford to be that destructive... But it would be entertaining to see Wynton Marsalis lose it and stomp on his trumpet at the end of a show... I just don't think it will ever happen.