Are trumpet players like golfers?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChinTurret, Feb 14, 2016.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've never damaged a horn in anger or frustration. In younger years I would punch a stand on occasion, but never when anyone else was around. Punching a stand is better than punching a wall - particularly a Manhassett - it might sting the knuckles, but it's light enough that it moves before it causes much more than a sting.

2. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    My grandfather and his brother were out duck hunting. GB took a shot at a duck, and nothing happened, and was about to fling the shotgun into the river because this apparently wasn't the first time that had happened. G had been watching, and had seen the hammer come down slowly, and said "give it to me, instead." G thus netted himself an 1897 Winchester in need of a good cleaning. He took great delight in taking it duck hunting with his brother for years afterwards, with nary a misfire. In time, it came to me. I love it, and the story, and the lesson one can take from it.

I'm still waiting for a hothead with a nice horn to act up in front of me. :-)

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I saw a program on TV a couple of years ago where shotguns were used instead of golf clubs to play an entire round of golf using blank shells. The players used distance from the ball to determine distance in flight. They worked things out in short order and had great time. I tried unsuccessfully to find the video online.

Does this answer the question: "Are trumpet players like golfers?"? Of course not; it's a diversion. :-P