Are trumpet players opinionated?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Being a member of a number of online forums ranging from religion to swimming pools to aviation and electronics, the thing that jumps out at me most is trumpet players are overtly opinionated and are far more verbose than the average individual.

Perhaps this is a prerequisite for becoming a trumpet player in the first place. The only other group of people that are this opinionated are airline pilots. In some cases, you could substitute the term "hard headed" for opinionated. Maybe these activities require more of a type "A" personality.

It is always interesting to note that when a question is posed here there is rarely a consensus in opinion. "What kind of trumpet should I buy for my beginning student to play"...and there will be many responses with widely varied answers as to the direction to go. In a similar instance I counted as many as twenty different answers from about as many responses, which would make it a bit challenging to come up with a good answer for the individual.

And when things have a "wheels off" direction, the site moderators employ their collective wisdom to get the train back on the tracks.

We are all entitled to an opinion, and being unique individuals, the opinions likely will vary widely. Makes life interesting, right?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Swimming pools? Cool!

I think that trumpet players do have opinions and they do share, even if you didn't ask for it.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Absolutely! If we all were alike it would be really boring really fast (like a whole section of Bach's ROFLROFLROFL). I try to base mine in fact and when facts change, I try to do the same. A key to growing (in my opinion :lol:) is to be open to change and remaining teachable. Otherwise, you get left in the dust. Of course I'm talking about playing trumpet!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Are trumpet players opinionated? What kind of a dumb a** question is that? NOW READ THE DISCLAIMER:

[DISCLAIMER: OK before give me a gray chicklet, this is a my feeble attempt at sarcastic humor (or humour as the majority of the world members would spell it - an opinion that was definitely expressed by the Aussie contention - and when the Aussies speak - I listen - what can I say I love these guys (and their beer)]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  5. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Trumpet players opinionated! Absolutely not, we're just right most of the time, and proud to express our superior knowledge, and anyone that disagrees is wrong.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I believe we all still have a teenager lurking inside of us that is "right" all the time. As we gain experience we turn into philosophers that start critically questioning and examining what we previously considered "right." We might change our opinions, but remain "right."

If anyone disagrees with the above statement, they are wrong, and most likely playing the wrong mouthpiece, wrong horn and practicing wrong.

My opinion, anyway.

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Nope, your'e wrong. Moderators do not get opinions.

8. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    NO ... but thanks for asking.

9. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    now THAT is funny! ... but does it matter if they agreed with your statement of not?

10. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Good thing that I'm 2/6ths trumpet player, 2/6ths french horn player, 1/6th piano player, and 1/6th percussion player! (the 2/6 trumpet + 2/6 french horn = 4/6th flugelhorn by the way)

Looks like I missed out on the "opinionated type A personality"!!!

Kujo