Are trumpet players opinionated?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Of course not--we are right all the time! (In my opinion anyway.)

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    How many times have you heard this “ OH you’re a TRUMPET PLAYER, no wonder “ . Been called sarcastic, Triple A personality, Cocky, Controlling, and you know what, they are probably correct. Honestly I haven’t met a trumpet player that’s NOT one or more of these…..this is the type of personality that a trumpet attracts, it’s part of what it takes to play a trumpet, and I’m honoured to be called all of these and more. When the red light comes on WE’RE the people that you can count on to get it done, Right !!
    How many trumpet players does it take to screw in a light bulb…..one and it will be done right ! Just a little opinionated here.....

3. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    That's an absolute fact.

-John

4. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    What? I'm not opinionated, everybody else is. I'm just right about everything.

5. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Hey, I got your opinion.......overtly verbose? If I need your opinion, I'll give it to you....least you'll know it's right this time. Probably another feeble attempt by some closet sax player to subvert us....or worse.....a flute player tipping the valve oil again.......got watch them flute players......like to hang out in the sax section if you let them. And another thing, I can't even type "A".. :cool:ROFLROFLROFL

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Well, let me add this...based on the responses so far, it would be fair to say that trumpet players have a good sense of humor, in addition to their opinions, which of course are always indisputable.

The one caveat here is that we may have to exclude moderators, who by definition must remain humorless!

I've already had more than one good chuckle reading some of the responses here!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  7. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  8. flugeler

flugeler New Friend

Aug 27, 2010
    SoCal
    It might be interesting to know what our Myers-Briggs personality types are... I'm consistently ENTJ, the type whose motto is "I'm really sorry you have to die." Seems to go along with what I've read above. I thought the flugelhorn might take the edge off, but alas, it hasn't.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I guess we have to define "opinionated". I kind of view opinionated for many that have not spent time studying a specific issue. They have a gut level feeling that they defend, not really the whole story. The opinion may be right or wrong.

Then again, there are those who invest a great deal of time in figuring something out and take issue with things other than the truth. They are labled as "opinionated" by some. When pushed, they can back up the premise and that makes it more "factual" than opinionated. The truth can be very tough sometimes if someone is WAY off track.

So I see trumpeters as factual or opinionated, truthtellers or BSers and naturally everything in between.

It is often the members that pull threads back on track. The moderators here let quite a bit get through and there are VERY few censorship issues

10. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    He even has an opinion about what opinionated means.:lol: The truth hurts.