Are we outmoded snobs?

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by LaTrompeta, Jun 5, 2018.

1. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Was Colorado...now Utah
    I liked disco music in the 3rd grade, and that was the 90s.

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I didn't like disco - I used to chaperone my brother to local disco events when he was a young teen. I didn't like it because the loud noise and dim lighting made it difficult to read my book.

--bumblebee

tobylou8 and Vulgano Brother like this.
  3. Manfredv

Manfredv Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2017
    McDaniels KY
    Punch brothers is not really for me but I liked nickle Creek. My wife,s cousin is in a local band from here called Jericho woods they are kinda in the same vein as nickle Creek. You should check them out.

bumblebee likes this.
  4. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Was Colorado...now Utah
    Eh, even though I'm the OP, the whole debate matters little. If my income were on the line, however, now that would be a different story.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    It is one thing to enjoy music that is outside the mainstream. No one can ever keep you from enjoying it if the music speaks to you and you like it. It is another to disdain other styles without being able to explain why the music you like is superior. I do believe that there are styles of music that are less complex that provide enjoyment. Depth? Maybe not but we don't always need depth. However, sometimes that depth fills a great void.

Mahler 9th is deep but I don't necessarily walk away from it uplifted. At a ballgame I will sing along with Sweet Caroline and feel temporarily uplifted. Music entertains and it also finds its way to other parts of your brain. I like good rock but I detest noise in popular or classical music. I equally detest some boring, self-indulgent new music, whether classical or popular.

When you like a certain kind of music, there's little like the feeling you get when you enjoy it with someone else and are able to talk about it. It's fair for someone to want that.

trickg, gwood66, BigDub and 9 others like this.
  6. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Was Colorado...now Utah
    I haven't seen you post in 12 years. Good post, though.

BigDub likes this.
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Welcome Back Manny!

tobylou8 and richtom like this.
  8. OldKing

OldKing Piano User

Aug 20, 2016
    NW of San Antonio
    The only time I feel elitist is when I get physically ill at the very beginning of a tune. And that only happens with the music of two artists... Mr. Neil Diamond and Mr. Barry Manilow.

bobmiller1969 likes this.
  9. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    But classical music can't compete AT ALL with the richness of harmony, the depth of emotion, the complexity of rhytm and last but not least, the superior performance of the modern dj's (ok, for the final, impaccable result it had to be remixed, but...):

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    theo van kampen likes this.
  10. ButchA

ButchA Piano User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    I don't think we're snobs for enjoying music that is not "mainstream" or anything like that. There's always a place for everyone's musical tastes on a radio dial or Pandora or whatever streaming XM Satellite station...

I can go from classic "horn bands" such as Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Ides of March, Earth Wind & Fire, etc... to the loudest, most bone crushing, hard rock & heavy metal. No hip hop or rap though - that stuff makes me want to rip my ears off.

I can even get very sentimental and enjoy "50's Crooners" type of music like Perry Como, Mel Torme, Ray Price, and of course the one, the only, Bing Crosby. Toss in some jazzy standards from Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett, and the list is complete!

GeorgeB and Dennis78 like this.