Are We Too Wrapped Up In Equipment?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Sep 16, 2005.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I'm with Wilmer.

2. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Sure is hard keeping all these horns clean.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Think of a fire man using a garden hose. What if he could use a fire hose. The town went out and spent a lot of money on that new hose only to find out that the water needed more pressure and only dribbled out.

The town then went to the water company and got more water.

The point is that without that hose they couldn't have used more water.

You might not notice the benefit of a better trumpet in the short term but it will allow you to grow into it.

Before the new trumpet the trumpet was the weakest link, with the new trumpet you are the weakest link. But I have found that it is human nature to rise to what we need to do. Therefore, you are a better player with the better trumpet.

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I think we're lucky to be able to be equipment geeks. I like the fact that, for the most part, I can get my paws on all but the most expensive trumpets (thats what those credit card offers I get every week are for :D )
    On the other hand, unless your Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, etc, your average Johnny String Player isn't going to have access to high quality violins, cellos, etc.
    Just my 2/100s.
    -Jimi

5. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    No

It's all about what works for you.

When you get to a certain level of proficiency it is all about what works best for you as a player. There is no "best horn" for everyone, maybe not even a best horn for you because different horns have different qualities you are looking for as a player.

In a pic I was looking for intonation #1 and I found it in my Schilke. In a Flugelhorn I was looking for that dark dark trombony sound, and I found it in my Kanstul. In a C I was looking for a responsive horn with a rich sound that played in tune in all registers and I found it in my Harrelson modified Bach. In my Bb I was looking for a nice horn that would work in all areas of playing, and I think I have found it in my Bach Strad.

I'm still looking for that perfect Bb to play in Church when you want that dark beautiful sound that is equally good on solo work and when playing with the choir. I think that horn may be the Eclipse LC but I have not got the funds to buy it and find out.

Am I wrapped up in my equipment? Yes, only because I want what works perfect for me in every setting.

6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I like to make a similar comparison to one of my passions -- GOLF.

Little simpler than the way you said it -- what works for the pro does not work for me. I play with Calloway X-12 irons that were designed for the weekend hacker as a very forgiving club. There are other more accurate clubs, but my skills are not proficient enough to handle those clubs.

I have said I'll buy a new set of clubs when my handicap is in single digits (at one time I was 13 which is pretty good). I often think about the students I teach who want to change from the Yamaha they bought in 5th grade to a Bach Strad or a Yamaha Xeno. When some of them change I often notice the level of playingactually goes down. They are usually the students that I told not to get a new horn. The same thing would happen to me if I was to play on the exact same clubs as Tiger Woods.

7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    It's not only trumpet players, either.

My wife is a clarinettist. Reeds, reed holders, reed trimmers, ligatures, barrels, swabs, neckstraps, caps, mouthieces, a billion differentt kids of cork grease...much the same! We are not alone...

8. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I will openly admit to being a gadget/equipment geek. I like to have everything and try everything out. 9 times out of 10 the thing turns out to be useless, I can at least have solace in the fact that I did give it a fair shake. The way I look at it is, anything that can potentially make playing easier is worth a try. If it works great, if not, c'est la vie. Plus, I like having a bunch of stuff.

9. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    It's much less work to sound good on an Eclipse than on a Bundy. If I can play a horn that slots well, plays in tune with itself and is an even blow, I'm going to do it. I don't want to have to sort those things out on a substandard trumpet when I am trying to figure out other details. That being said, equipment can only take you so far.

That's an awesome avatar Wolf!

10. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    When I first started playing about 8 or 9 years ago I played my dad's old Besson Cornet from when he was in high school, I played that for about 3 years. When I made the top band at my Jr. High School my parents got me a new horn for my birthday, a Holton MF Admeral. The Holton was alot higher quality than the Besson was, but I wasn't advanced enough to play any differant on it. About 2 years of that had gone by untill I finaly began to make significant imporvment in my playing. I was told by both my highschool band directors as well as my private teacher that I was reaching the limits of my horn. I think they were right, for about 2 years I was improveing more and more each day. I moved from 3rd chair in the schools lowest band to 1st chair in the schools middle band. The next year I was 2nd chair in our top band. But once I got to that point I seemed to have stopped getting better and it was starting to discourage me. The kid sitting first chair at the time was just unbelievable, he was just amazeing and I think most of it was just natural because he didn't really pracice all that much but he was just amazeing and no one could ever beat him in a chair test. I figured that at the rate I was improveing that maybe sometime soon I could beat him, but then I stoped improveing. I droped down to 4th chair because I was discouraged and stoped beliveing in myself, I just couldn't get any better.
    So my teachers suggested that I should start looking into getting a new horn one that I could grow into and start to improve again. After months of searching I finaly found my Kanstul. It took me about a week to get used to the new horn, but after that I was improveing at the same rate I was the year before. Two weeks later I got 1st chair. It was the first time in 3 years that someone other than him (the naturaly amazeing kid) had gotten first chair. Now a few months later I'm still improveing just like I was before.

So I really do believe that in some cases a new horn can make you a better player. The first time I got a new horn I wasn't ready for it and it didn't help me at all, but when I got my Kanstul I was ready for it and it was definatly the best purchess I've ever made in my life.