Are you a "natural player"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tatakata, Jun 20, 2008.

1. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    It seems like most of the people at the very top of the trumpet profession are natural players. By natural I mean they had no playing problems as a student. They could always just play. The natural players who work hard rise to the very top. Those who aren't as gifted can go far but will never be at the very top.

Comments? Andrew what do you think? I'm guessing you never had many playing problems as a student.

2. carteru93

carteru93 New Friend

Jun 16, 2008
    Sudbury, Ontario Canada
    I don't want to seem boastful, and am in NO way a professional, but I believe I made extremely good progress over the last 3 years (no private teacher). In my high school, other than my jazz instructor, I am the best trumpet player there of the whole school (I am in grade 9). So I would have to say I am naturally talented at the trumpet.

3. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

I don't buy it for'a second tatakata. :) -Least where levels of success come to play. Course there's always exceptions that'd suggest your premise is right? And no question extraordinary talent doubled up on obsessive drive and focus is a rarity; so by that standard the thinking holds true?

But then we have to factor these players failing in the company of Ouroboros Symbolism, or the Moth to the Flame? -So all things are equal? By example, Tiger Woods devoured himself the other day, like the Dragon swallowing its tail, and may well have altered his career. Music unites our cyclical needs of expression, which i think is the primary symbolism intended with the Ouro. Dragon Circle, but that spirit's never less or more among the best and amateur alike? We all feed on the music, and take hold of the flame?

The cyclical activity of striving to be the best's about the greatest waste of time one could manage, and still be successful at it. It strikes of mindless cannibalism to hold ourselves libel in display of our effortless and innate expressive-spirit, that these strides to conquer, or be the best are obsessed with attaining. Can't go get, what we already got. Likely the enabling fanaticism/compulsion of sporting, is poor parallel of musical admiration and learned devotion. -I don't doubt it, but you see my meaning. This mindset isn't the food for thought that we, the fan and athlete, musician and listener are intuitively aware, and are perpetually distracted from by point of measure and scale.

I wouldn't argue i've missed your point entirely, but talent's universally significant, and richly commonplace despite our canines? Certainly it's far more reasonable that the coming times will find humanity occupied of manifest genius by a greater majority, unrecognizable by contrast or scale we roar about from the rafters today. :)

Although being'a rock star don't sound too bad. I wouldn't throw out the groupies for crackers.

C

____

'A bit wordy there chaser.'

Na. ..I saw it good there brother. :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  4. tatakata

May 29, 2007
    A bit wordy there chaser.

5. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    You asked tata. If you didn't want explanations, lengthy or not, don't ask. You might use the word Virtuoso instead of natural.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  6. tatakata

May 29, 2007
    Natural is fine. And to be honest with you decent I was asking Andrew McCandless. Not the 9th grader in Jazz Band or godchaser. I appreciate their responses but could have used something a bit more to the point from the chaser.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  7. azinatelli

azinatelli New Friend

Feb 20, 2008
    I've known Andrew for several years, and I think that he'll say without hesitation that hard work and determination are what make great players what they are. Talent is great, but hard work is what pays off. I'm interested to hear Andrew's thoughts too!

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Most of the great players that I have met have natural musical talent, but more importantly, they have the drive to overcome ANY obstacles whether that be parents, lack of a place to practice, braces, lack of a good horn, sickness, idiot auditions........................ NOTHING slows these people down in reaching their goal.
    That is a talent that has nothing necessarily to do with music, but has to be "naturally" there. I have never met anyone that learned "drive" but plenty that learned "trumpet".

9. clousemiester

clousemiester Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    I have to agree with Ro! The drive, the need, the desire, the devotion to do what it takes to become (what people will call) a natural, a virtuoso, a star. is what works! And I think we all know what it takes! A great smile and magnetic personality can't hurt, but only gets you in the door. Got to do it all.
    Practice, listen, Practce, ......

10. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH

The great bassist Ron Carter told me in a master class "...10 hors a day fixes most things...". I think the drive to succeed and excel propels those people. The way I see it, there are those who have things "come easier" to them, myself.... i need the 10 hours a day.;-) I guess you could say that would be natural abillity.