Are you a "natural player"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tatakata, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    I just see the most recent posts on the home page and go from there. I'm not lost though tata. You have to expect other ppl might post on the forumn to. End of discussion. I hope Andrew answers you though.

quote=tatakata;376639]Are you lost Decentplayer? This is the Andrew McCandless forum.[/quote]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  2. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

'An accomplishment of any goal is it's own reward, as well as incentive for the next. Each accomplishment is the fuel for the drive to continue the cycle.'

Couldn't agree more clousemiester. And when i question drive, i defer to Robin's teaching experience and first-hand observation of such things obviously, but still wonder about how our underlying perspective effects our lasting initiative? If we're inclined to consider that we'll have a higher sense of appreciation in our expressive play when we're more accomplished; then i suspect we're riddling our interest at heart?

This reminds me of something i said to a Buddy of mine at the gym. I mentioned i was looking forward to knowing how it felt to press 500 lbs. -Back in the day, he was pushing 680 competitively. He smiled at me and said, it'll feel just like you do now. :) He's nearly sixty now, and still throws around 495 like he's warming-up. Course this doesn't line up with learning to cultivate and nurture the note. But certainly the happiness we feel through the personal freedoms derived of our creative expression/learning-curve's always intact of oneself? -We're never dependent of projected-accomplishment, in participating in this joy, but this can easily dilute our enthusiasm by way of misguided comparative-reach, slash incentive? (Which comes directly to tatakatas' question of 'natural player' to my mind.)

Westview brought good conversation, when he made point that suffering seems to be present in a lot of great players? Possibly Andrew will speak to this as well.

Good thread t. Kind thanks.

-

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  3. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for the great conversation. First of all let me say that I'm jealous that Ta ta ka thought of such a great topic! This really is a good one. I also think it's great to get everyone involved in the conversation. If there are topics on this forum that anyone feels they want to contribute to please do. We can always learn from each other and I think that's one of the great things about these forums. (Being willing and able to learn from each other is also a great talent to have.)
    Now to the topic. I think that talent has all kinds of levels and forms. Talent can be chops, musicality, drive, mental focus, hard work, sound, the ability to learn well etc. What I think is most important is recognizing what your talent or talents are and making the most of them. That will also help you to focus on what you aren't as talented at and strive to make it better. I personally was never a very gifted player chop wise. I was fairly smart about the trumpet and I had a lot of desire to succeed. I was also very good at hearing something and imitating it. I don't know too many players who are working who got to where they are simply on talent. Certainly I wasn't able to do that. I was lucky to have been very young when I got my first job. I mostly got that job because I was able to copy things that I heard on recordings. That plus hard work got me a job way before I was actually ready for one. So I suppose you could say that I succeeded early on because of talent, but it wasn' the kind of talent that I think we usually think of. One thing that I say to my students a lot is that if you aren't getting better you are getting worse. The reason for this is that someone else is improving and they are passing you. Standing still doesn't work. In the end there is no substitute for hard work in my opinion.
    Maybe we can push this conversation in another direction a bit. Let's try to think of all of the talents that might be a little less obvious. For instance I believe that being a great section player is a real talent. You have to be able to copy, listen, match, and put aside your own ego for the good of the section. Being a great teacher is also a tremendous talent that not only helps others, but yourself as well. Give me some other ideas of talent that aren't immediately obvious.
    I'm off for a three day golf trip so I won't be on here for a bit. I'll look forward to seeing where this conversation has gone. I may also have a few more thoughts on this subject when I get back. In the meantime. Keep posting!
    Best,
    Andrew

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  4. gdong

gdong Piano User

Jun 7, 2008
    LA/Lake Tahoe/NYC
    "Bobby Shew"

5. dabhand

dabhand New Friend

Apr 7, 2008
    Ramsgate Kent England
    If you have the Passion, Commitment and Desire to be there at the top, you will surpass your self imposed limits .
    Unfortunately we can not all be at the top, but just like myself, keep striving
    We are in a general sense all naturals in abilities when having the above named requisites
    But keep at it and have a good time !!
    kind regards
    dabhand

6. Joe DiMonte

Joe DiMonte Mezzo Forte User

Apr 30, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    Armed with that confidence,consider how many HIGH SCHOOLS there are in this Universe that includes music in their curriculum and consider how one's chance's in getting to the top or close to the pyramid is reduced.
    As the late great Satchel Page said:"Don't look back,someone may be gaining on you."

Good Luck,remain confident but listen to your elders.

7. Tammerman175

Tammerman175 New Friend

Oct 19, 2007
    I originally used MP pressure, but since I started practicing a hell of a lot, I caught back up with myself.

I'm starting to lay off a bit now, and going for only an hour.
    I was at the top of my class when I was using MP pressure, and hope I'll be back up there in no time.

Answering your question, I think that there are three roads that trumpeters can go down when they realize they are not playing properly.

One is they just keep going the way they have been going and not changing a thing. This will hurt them most when they realize they could have changed, and they didn't.

Second is that they give a half-hearted effort and get halfway up to their original range and tone. This is when they think they've done enough and quit practicing.

Thirdly is that the trumpeter(s) view(s) this as a second shot at stardom and will practice until their lips bleed (not literally, obviously). This road generally leads in the right direction, and the trumpeter(s) in question will almost always become great.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  8. amuk

amuk New Friend

May 22, 2007
    Well, my opinion goes largely to the "naturally good" player or might we say "talented" player. They're in the first chairs of the major symphony orchestras, and I think none of them are small or short guys.
    Mendez and Herseth, both having potentially career -ending lip accidents, were great players before and they overcame adversity with good innate fundimentals and hard work.
    Now, Armando Ghitalla was a principal in the BSO and he worked his chops off to overcome his lack of natural ability-but that lack of ability was probably tons and tons greater than the ability of many.
    I think the truely gifted and top artists don't know how how good they were to start with. Even those who start off and have problems with embouchures or technique and then work hard and get dramatically better have got to have that potential to start with.
    There is such a thing as genetic endowment that's necessary before hard work will pay off.

9. dabhand

dabhand New Friend

Apr 7, 2008
    Ramsgate Kent England
    Re: Are you a "natural player" (reply to above Amuk)

Music is performed outside the confines of the Symphony Orchestra
    as well !
    Less of the Reading and more of the Improvisation and or Feeling and Soul
    What is this about Small Guys ?
    Enjoy playing and striving, and much less of the Analysis of Natural and Gifted and so Forth
    Kind regards
    Dabhand