"Are you supporting your air"? - I don't get it

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Jan 5, 2015.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhhh, but it does... it relaxes. There is physiology to relaxation.

2. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    In what situations would people want to take control over it? And how does one train to do so?
    The fact that it does something while voluntarely inhaling doesn't mean the diaphragm itself is a voluntary muscle.

I was just wondering...

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    When I want my patients to perform during pulmonary function testing first comes to mind.

Then
    When I want to yell at administratiors.
    When I want to play extended runs.
    When circular breathing
    When cleaing a luggie from my lung...

What involuntary REALLY means is that when you are not concentrating to control the function, physiology takes over to let you know when to breath (CO2 processing by the brain) otherwise we would not be able to fall to sleep would we now?

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey cfkid, chime in anytime.

5. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Hmmn, so when you yell at administrators you concentrate to control the diaphragm?
    I can circular breath and I'm sure I'm not consiously controlling my diaphragm.
    Circular breathing is just "getting air out of your mouth" by pushing it out with your cheeks or from your throat while you're naturally inhaling with your nose.

Edit: You're probably right since you're a doctor (?) but I'm just curious about this.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh sir, I sure do, because I am a trumpet player.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh really? If you did what you said, you would pass out. You need to control the diaphragm even more than natural breathing because circular breathing is not natural.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Naa, most physicians get it wrong more often than getting it right (See the discussions on Cognitive Bias in the Journal of Medical Education which strongly supports this conclusion)

I am very right because I am a research scientist as well, teach as a full professor the physiology of breathing at a state medical school, and put this theory into practice every day.

9. Furcifer

Furcifer Pianissimo User

Jul 26, 2010
    TEXAS
    LOL! I knew that was coming, so here we go: I count them in the first group - specifically to regard them as nothing special and thereby diffuse any additional stress! Then again, it's very easy for me to not care about those people anymore; I do recall what it was like back when I had enough reasons to actually submit to an "audition". *shudder* These days I'd tell somebody to pack sand if they suggested such a thing, but that's just me... If there's any "advice" for a beginner to glean from that, it would probably be to realize that, at the end of the day, they're either gonna dig what you're laying down or they're not, but if you can't dig what you're doing, then you've got more serious issues to deal with, really, before you ever presume to play another note. Don't let somebody else bum your trip, man; do your own thing in your own time, and dig it! :play:

gmonady likes this.
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ABSOLUTELY... and if you are your own worse critic (as I am of myself), and with maturity, when you apply this ethic, you will progress faster than ever before!