Arm pain while playing. Am I alone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shooter, Mar 3, 2013.

1. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Fam, It's been going on for quite sometime but I can't ignore it any longer. It started off as an acute pain in my left bicep when I would lower my horn during playing. Now it's both arms and I've noticed they fall asleep very easily especially when I sleep. I can't lift half the weight I normally can. I've tried wrapping my elbows to keep pressure around them and that helps a little. I talked with my Dr. and all he says to take it easy. It feels like it's slowly getting worse. What the crap?

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Have had yourself checked for diabetes? That's one possible symptom. Otherwise - try the ErgoBrass system as trumpet support.

3. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    Go see a neurosurgeon. Immediately, if not sooner. I had all of those symptom. Two torn rotator cuffs, and degenerated discs in my upper neck. Neck fusion surgery got rid of the " sleeping " arms, but both shoulders have rotator tears too bad for repair. Maybe you will catch it in time.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I did have similar issues 10 years ago, and were related to my rotor cuffs, and could not lift my arms up above my shoulders, or even dress myself, and it was caused by a waiter assisting me to remove my coat by ripping it from my shoulders. This happened twice within a week, and cause me 18 months of severe pain. After ultrasounds confirmed rotor-cuff tears, and the good news is that it does get better, but slowly.

The pain was not there all the time, only when I hit a certain position - then WHACK it hit me.

It was the most severe pain I have ever felt. But all Ok now.
    See a Doc,
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I experienced big old arm pain putting on shirts and jackets after swatting my kids in the back seat while driving and went to see my doctor after about a week (Typical guy response...). He manipulated my arms with absolutely no pain and told me to lower them. I cried out because it really hurt and he smiled because, he's German. He prescribed a topical cream and some pain-killers. I told him I wasn't keen on the pain-killer bit and he scolded me (he's German, you know). He said that removing the pain was important for letting stuff heal. I didn't argue with him anymore, got better, and never swatted my kids from an awkward angle again.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    VB Crying - Ahh difficult to believe.
    But if it was a rotor cuff tear, then I agree it brought tears to my eyes as well. I used pain killers as well to sleep, as I could not sleep at night with the pain.

7. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Thanks for all the input. Think I'll make an appointment with a neurosurgeon this week.