Armando Ghitalla on Beginning Trumpet Students

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LyzaZ, Mar 26, 2010.

1. LyzaZ

LyzaZ New Friend

Nov 10, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Hello,
    My private teacher (who took from Armando Ghitalla) told me to find an article Ghitalla had written about why and how he taught beginning trumpet students. I am a Trumpet Pedagogy major, so this information would be very beneficial to me. Does anybody have a copy of this article?

Thank you!

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Armando Ghitalla "For The Beginner"

Good endurance, range, and tone equal an embouchure with potential. It is not so much what it looks like, but what it produces.

Beginners: 1. Without the trumpet or mouthpiece, have the beginner roll the lips inward as if saying the letter "M". Take care that no red part of the lip shows and there is no rolled lips between the teeth. The teeth are virtually closed.
    2. Blow an airstream through the center of the lips without unrolling them. Saying piiip or peeeeep with the air can sometimes facilitate this action.
    3. After this is accomplished, the teacher places the mouthpiece on the students lips during the "M" formation, about half upper, half lower.
    4. The student holds the mouthpiece (no buzz) that was accomplished through the rolled lips.
    5. We then join the trumpet to the mouthpiece, with instructions on how to hold the trumpet, and the same airstream exercise will produce a G on the second line or higher. Certain points may need to be checked here if no sound comes forth. The airstream from the "M" position is crucial and some pressure is required so that the rim of the mouthpiece holds the embouchure in place while the lips relax enough to vibrate. The sounded note G or higher indicates the necessary innate tension required in a good embouchure. Nothing lower than this G should be attempted for three to five days in order to set the embouchure.
    6. Long tones are encouraged to strengthen the lips. The player then works down to low C after the first three to five day setting has taken place. The lips will unroll and find a more flexible setting as the player extends the range in both directions. I have found this beginning rolled setting so much more successful than starting with unrolled lips which produces a low C as the first note. Too many range and endurance problems result from this unrolled beginning lip position.
    7. When it comes time for scales, I have found that the best thing to do is give the student the hardest scales first. Scales with five, or more flats are sharps, make the student work hard. It is very important not to tell the students that these are hard scales. After learning the hardest scales first, the rest will be easy.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Chuck - You are a gem!

4. LyzaZ

LyzaZ New Friend

Nov 10, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Thank you so much!

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I guess I do it wrong. I have been thinking about this for a while. My top teeth touch my bottom lip. The air goes through the space in my top teeth.

I thought about changing but at 50 years old, why bother?

6. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I followed a very similar approach when I started my 6-year-old and it worked well. I think the second or third partial are a much better starting point than the 1st.