Army Audition

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by reedy, Sep 7, 2011.

1. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    True enough, but military bands everywhere have a lot in common, and there are hungry musicians everywhere looking for a gig! Having been a military musician for 15 years, I've had the privilege to work alongside plenty of foreign military bands whose gigs (and audition processes) are not so different from mine. That's also why I didn't bring up physical fitness - those are standards that can change drastically from one country to another. I once played a military tattoo with a band from Bermuda who had a woman in it who was easily over 300 lbs!
    Reedy, I'm glad you've done your homework. So many people don't and end up in a situation they aren't ready for, and their unhappiness can really bring the others they work with down. Good luck preparing for your audition, and let us know how it goes!

2. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK

Nice!

The physical tests will be the other thing I'll be working on, mile and half (2.4km) in 11 minutes, not to hard but the more I do the easier its going to be, the other tests dont have a pass or fail rate and are a best effort and judged on a scale, 35-40 press ups in 2 minutes is an A grade, 30-35 a B grade etc, same with sit ups and pull ups, obvously the better you do the higher chance of passing selection and being chosen over someone else and along with teamwork tasks, and a literacy and maths test along with the BARB test thats that!

so my life will be consisting of plenty of gym, plenty of trumpet practice along with my final year at uni which will keep me busy with my dissertation along with other things! could be a fun year!

3. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Your requirements are very similar to ours! You'll be surprised at how much your workouts help your playing - it's always helped me with breathing and stamina! :)