Arnica Cream

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BPinard, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    :thumbsup: ChopSaver is good stuff!

2. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    Bingo!

ChopSaver here I come!

(Thanks for the responses everyone!)

3. Aross09

Aross09 New Friend

Nov 18, 2011
    I also used Arnica cream for when I was injured in my cheeks and jaw. It definitely helped speed up the recovery process and made my face feel great! The only problem is that if you use or accidentally ingest too much of it it can be poisonous ...

4. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    I worked in a Health Food Store for 16 years and I'm VERY familiar with Homeopathic medicines. So what I refer to below are Homeopathic preparations of Arnica... in pills, cream or gel form. I've never used the straight plant or plant parts.

Arnica is MOST often used for MUSCLE issue... pulled muscles, sore muscles, etc...
    Internally (in pellet/pill form) is is oftentimes used for "shock" to the system, muscle problems, etc.... I recall when I had my Wisdom Teeth removed as a teenager, I regularly took arnica montana 30x pills before and after the surgery for a few weeks. The doctor was amazed how fast I healed up.

So using it for sore / tired Lips (which are a muscle) ... sure I can see that working. :cool:

5. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I'm totally with you on this Ralph. Ice causes a decrease in swelling and works better than anything else. That's why we use it on swollen jionts and soft tissues. Chopsaver is also good, but simple ChapStick I think works just as well. Whatever works for you is what to use. Anytning with alcohols in them though I would think of as being drying.
    Dr. Mike::-)

6. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I'm a big fan of Chopsaver, for long term healing, and soda water with lots of ice to quickly reduce swelling. Just use caution with Arnica cream. It's slightly toxic (as another poster has said).

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  7. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    Soda water, eh?:

Do you just drink it or "swish" it around your mouth, or what? Any specific kind of soda water, i.e. does it need to contain sodium bicarbonate, or just any carbonated water?

I was thinking of getting some plain bubbly water anyway as all the sugary soda-pop is giving me a bit of a belly and I can't stand the taste of diet pop. It would be a real boon if it would help with the trumpet playing!

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I drink ice & soda during gigs...like scotch & soda, hold the scotch. Ice water would probably work just as well. I never eat or drink anything with sugar in it while I'm playing. Sugar causes red rot.

9. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Chopsaver is great. I also like a formulation called Traumeel. It is available in cream, gel and liquid. A few drops of the liquid massaged into the lips after "overdoing" and follow up with Chopsaver and it gets rid of my swelling (even after inadvertently smacking myself in the lip with my flugelhorn mp). The liquid is safe for ingestion and works orally as well as topically. Originally got it from my accupuncturist for a badly sprained ankle. The liquid alone would be drying, which is why I follow it up with Chopsaver.