Arpeggio

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Nov 2, 2011.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I am using the Arban book and playing the arpeggio exercises,my question is when do we use arpeggios in our playing or our these just exercises to inprove our playing thank you been away from trumpet for some time and now it seems a good time Thank you Anthony

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Why do you play scales? It makes you a better player. You learn how to play in the key. You use arpeggios all the time, you may not realize it. It does not have to go all the way up then down, it may go from the 1st note to the 5th to the 3rd. Arpeggios can also help your accuracy, jumping from note to note.

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Arpeggios give you the root, 3rd and 5th of a chord committed to memory which good for jazz improvization. It also helps with " Color My World " by Chicago.......oops you might not remember them.

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Let's see now. Arpeggios and what do they do?
    Well, besides learning harmony, fingerings, chord progressions and structure, and training your ear, they also serve one extremely important aspect of playing that is frequently ignored here, but is the absolute fundamental essence of brass playing. THEY TEACH YOU TO KEEP YOUR AIR FLOW MOVING IN ALL REGISTERS.
    Without proper air flow patterns, arpeggios are difficult, if not impossible, to do properly. Each note in the arpeggio, from bottom to top and back down, must be equal in tone quality and volume.
    To those who won't practice scales and arpeggios, you will never become a trumpet player of any ilk. They are part of the musical and technical building blocks of trumpet playing.
    Rich T.

tobylou8 likes this.
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    They are like your veggies. If you want to be strong, you gotta eat them. :D

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Arpeggios are very commonly found in music scores. That being said, they have a lot to offer in lip flexibility, accuracy, chop building, and everything else mentioned so far. Arpeggios are part of scale exercises evrey time that I do them. To me they are as useful, and used as often. Frankly, I am a little taken aback that the question was asked in the first place. Perhaps if you go back and analyze the music you are playing you will realize, "Oh, THERE it is ... and THERE it is again..."

7. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Even for guys with perfect pitch that can play arpeggios by ear, it is still beneficial to practice them, because we HAVE to be as solid as possible in our playing. Practicing and playing anything that can be found in trumpet music is worth doing for the sake of muscle memory....if done effectively, the vast majority of anything placed in front of you can be played with minimal effort. Plus, if you suddenly have to play triple-sixteenth arpeggiations at quarter note = 120 in the key of C-sharp, no worries!