Arranging for Rock Band with Horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kevin Hilman, Jan 9, 2007.

1. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Make the horns suffer! There are only twelve keys and they're all equal. If a trumpet player can't play a solo in F#, he or she shouldn't be on the gig.

Michael McLaughlin

The secret source of humor is not joy but sorrow; there is no humor in Heaven.
    Mark Twain

2. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    The horns will adjust quickly.

Don't worry about their keys because if they're going to play rock they need to learn the songs in their original keys. The only times we've every changed keys were to deal with the singer's range.

Dave

3. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    The real thing here is - you are not asking the horns to burn tough changes at blazing speeds. You are probably asking them to play either the parts that are on the original record or created to match the tune. These will most likely consist of whole, half, quarter and eight notes - max at any given time. Don't sweat the key. Let the guitars do what they do best...

All will be right with the world. :cool: Rock on...brothas...

4. Bugler

Bugler Banned

Quote from my teacher, James F. Burke:

"You've got to master ALL of your scales, for if you can't finger the horn just what can you do?"

5. Scooter01

Scooter01 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2006
    Can you capo up a 1/2 step (one fret) and put them in more manageble keys?

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    This means that if you transcribe "What is Hip" by Tower of Power you'll need to write it in 4/4 at mach 1 m.m. in order to give the horns some whole notes. I'd rather subdivide than tap my foot that fast!

7. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    You know...there is always one wise guy who will point out the exception...hahahhaha.

Okay... add 16th notes to the equation...you can keep your foot tapping to slower quarter notes...:lol:

Now...for the solo on that tune...you are on your own. When you are hooked into the flanged wa wa pedal, no one will care anyway... haha. Key? I don't need no stinkin' key!!

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    With a wah-wah c blues will work in any key!:cool: