Arranging Music For Brass Ensemble

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Canadian or not. No publisher will spend their money going after a college student who arranged a song to be performed for free one or twice. It is a waste of their time. How would arranging courses in college work if we had to pay for permission to use a chart. Don't sell it.
    This is all in my experience. If you are really that worried, then don't arrange, or start saving your pennies.

2. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    Ha ha. Good, so they're not gonna chase me down, twist my arm, and make me pay $1000 for playing their music for free.

3. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Well, folks, there you have the answer. If you only steal a little bit, it's OK:-?

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Passion, there has very recently been a very public legal action here in Australia against the group Men at Work, who have been determined (in a Court of Law) to have "stolen" the rights to another's work, which they called "We Come From a Land Downunder". M at W apparently made A LOT OF MONEY from their "version" and it is very nearly ALL at risk.

Infringement of copyright (look at the word copy right) is not legal in many respects regardless of your intentions. You being less than 18 makes little difference except that you are not legally able to participate in a contract (must be of age, must be of sound mind, must be a meeting of the minds). In your position, I would make the phone call to the publisher. I have had contact on a similar matter with Carl Fischer Music Publishers (I was after Waltzing Matilda, which they have owned since 1936) and they have been very easy to deal with - try it, it probably won't hurt.

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Are the people on youtube who do covers thiefs? Do they get their videos taken down? The popular ones with well over a million hits as now Youtube Affiliates who make money from views.

YouTube - PomplamooseMusic's Channel

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Let me summarise: -

i. YOUR choice,
    ii. YOUR infringement,
    iii. YOUR penalty.

I have NOTHING to gain (or lose), neither do all those others who infringe copyright on Youtube - they too, cannot impact on you. You might even not get caught - you may even think that some musician is not suffering from you nicking his or her work, but I find it difficult to believe that there are those who consider that this is in any way the right thing to do. I suppose that some think that what makes this allright is that others do it - what sort of justification is that ???????

Please yourself, fill your boots, I'm done :shhh:.

7. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I queried the licensing person at a Southern Music Publications. Her reply was that for this specific type of situation, i.e., a one-time performance of a work they held the copyright to, they would grant a free license to create an arrangement and perform it in public, provided that all copies of the music specifically noted that the publisher owned the copyright and it would be performed one time only.

Checking the details is always good.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Stravinsky said something along the lines of "bad composers borrow, great composers steal."

My music history prof: "It's ok to borrow if you repay with interest."

9. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    For anyone in Canada:

I'm a federal civil servant in Ottawa Canada (and a Comeback player!) who happens to work with a colleague who is *the* for-real federal government expert concerning copyright. PM me and I'll be glad to put you in touch directly. I know he'd be glad to help out.

That said, about a hundred years ago I <ahem> may have arranged Zawinul's 'Birdland' for the #1 McGill Big Band as well as a Star Wars medley for the Low Brass choir. Never had any problems, but then again no admission fee was charged in either case.

10. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    Thanks for all the answers.